Help Picking a Laptop for Aero Major

In summary, Shawn is considering the HP Pavilion zv5240uswell as a potential replacement for his old HP pavilion zv5240us, but he is also considering the IBM Thinkpad T42 as well as the newly released Dell Inspiron 6000 with its modular bay battery option. Shawn is leaning towards the Dell Inspiron 6000 because of its better reviews and its modular bay battery option.
physicsCU
Hey,

I need some help in picking a new laptop. I am an aero major, so I will be doing MATLAB, some Python, solidworks, excel, that sort of thing. and music, lots of music!

I am currently between the dell inspiron 6000 and the hypersonic aviator MX6. I am not sure which to choose, because the hypersonic reviews are either gold or they are horrible, describing a company that is essentially evil. So I don't know who to go with.

After all the changes i made, they seem like the same price, ballpark, but the hypersonic has obviously better parts, and the kicker for me is the modular bay battery hypersonic has. That is a huge deal for me, and I don't know why dell stopped doing it.

So I am leaning to hypersonic, but the bad reviews worry me.

So if anyone has any thoughts, i would appreciate them!

P.S. This is to replace an HP pavilion zv5240us

Computer science news on Phys.org
well this is all personal opinion
but i have never heard anything good from a dell
i am not very familiar with the other model though
i recently (2 weeks ago) bought a laptop with some of the same ideas for use matlab, pro engineer, ect ...
i went with an IBM thinkpad T42 and customized it for my own taste
everything works very well, and if you are interested in running a linux distro, it is one of best supported models out there as far as hardware goes
are you looking to run windoze or linux or both?
i dual boot for the sake of using those engineering/math progs
but there are some decent open source engineering/math apps out tehre though
the only bad part thinkpads are a little more expensive, but well worth it (once again my opinion)

also another suggestion, i am not sure how familiar you are with servers and what not
but i set up an old desktop computer (added a couple of harddrives) as a ftp/web/media/ssh server
this way i can stream all my music to my laptop (no lag at all)
and not fill my laptop harddrive with media
also a server makes a nice storage point
--shawn

You want to replace your zv5240us? That's a really nice computer. Anyway, take the reviews into consideration when it comes to the actual computer (i.e. if one notebook's lid hinges are loose and the keyboard is flimsy, etc) more so than the company being 'evil.' What does that mean anyway? Poor customer service?

I guess what you'll have to do is determine what's most important for you. Will it be thin and light but a slower processor or heavier but more powerful?

yes, hypersonic's reviews indicated extrememly horrible customer service. I mean, I can handle indian tech support, but that part turned me off in a big way. I have looked into cyberpowerinc, and i am leaning that way if i could get a reply to my inquiry about their modular battery option (the option to order it with the laptop).

I am not really familiar with servers, but what you are describing would be great! can you point to a tutorial to do that? I would use the HP for that for sure! especially since that would breathe new life into it.

My HP is meh for me, I really need something that isn't so power-hungry but still decently powerful. I don't do large-scale drawing on it, that is my desktop's purpose. But i want a nice laptop so I can use it for a long while. So really, long battery life is the driver here. If i can play music, watch movies, light editing and light programming on it, that is fine; again something future proof. My HP just seems sluggish and >2 hours of battery is unacceptable, especially since I am going to be on a plane for 4 hours next week, no laptop, and driving 8 hours in april to wichita, again no laptop (yes, 8 hours is impossible, but its an example). With how often I am mobile and away from my desktop, I need battery life.

Yes, I would like to dual boot. I did have suse/windows on it, but i couldn't stand the fact that wireless and ACPI didn't work in suse, so i got rid of it. K/Ubuntu seems nice though, I have checked out the live cd for kubuntu, going to do ubuntu next.

PS, I am trying to decide to get a new laptop or upgrade my desktop, but at this time i am leaning to a laptop. my desktop is only a year old, so it isn't due for an overhaul for another year or so.

i personally enjoy ubuntu (almost everythings works right out of the box)

here is a step by step to set up a server
it is very detailed
http://www.publisheraid.com/hosting/Become+Your+Own+Web+Host+in+75+Steps.html

here is a good reference/walk through if you use ubuntu
http://help.ubuntu.com/starterguide/C/faqguide-all.html#fg-ing [Broken]

here is a site that shows how compatible certain laptop are with which linux distro
http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html

hope this helps
--shawn

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the minimum specifications for a laptop to be suitable for an Aero major?

The minimum specifications for a laptop for an Aero major would include an Intel Core i5 processor or higher, at least 8GB of RAM, and a dedicated graphics card with at least 2GB of VRAM. It should also have a solid-state drive (SSD) for faster storage and a screen resolution of at least 1920x1080.

2. Is it necessary to have a touchscreen or 2-in-1 convertible laptop for an Aero major?

No, it is not necessary to have a touchscreen or 2-in-1 convertible laptop for an Aero major. While these features can be convenient, they are not essential for completing coursework in this field.

3. Can I use a Mac for an Aero major or do I need a Windows laptop?

You can use a Mac for an Aero major, but it may not be the most practical choice. Many software programs used in this field are designed for Windows operating systems, so a Windows laptop would be more compatible. However, if you are familiar with using a Mac and can find alternative software options, it is still possible to use a Mac for this major.

4. How important is battery life in a laptop for an Aero major?

Battery life is important in a laptop for an Aero major, especially if you will be using it for long periods of time without access to a power outlet. Look for a laptop with at least 8 hours of battery life, and consider investing in a portable charger or extra battery if needed.

5. Are there any specific brands or models that are recommended for an Aero major?

There are no specific brands or models that are universally recommended for an Aero major. However, some brands such as Dell, HP, and Lenovo have a good reputation for producing reliable and high-performance laptops that are suitable for this major. It is important to also consider your budget and personal preferences when choosing a laptop.