What are the Best Laptops for Law School?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a laptop for their partner who is starting law school. They want something lightweight, rugged, with great battery life and a full keyboard. They prefer a Windows laptop and are looking for suggestions on brands and models. They mention their preference for business class laptops, specifically the Dell Latitude series, due to their higher quality. They have heard good things about Dell's business class line and are open to checking out other brands as well.
minger
Science Advisor
Hi guys, I'm getting the ball-n-chain a laptop. She's starting law school soon and I think it will help a lot with being able to easily take data from school to home, vice versa, along with just giving her some more flexibility.

I was hoping to get some input as to some brands/models that I can look for. Things I'm looking for are:
  • Lightweight and rugged (she's clumsy)
  • Great battery life
  • Full keyboard/num pad that's easy to type on
  • Windows She won't use a Mac

After that, it just needs to be able to decently run Office-like apps and be stable (I know oxymoronic with Windows). For example, I have an Asus M50 with T9300 processor, which is probably overkill. I certainly don't want a netbook, but don't need anything high end. Most important are battery life, lightweight, and rugged.

Thanks a bunch,

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ah, business class laptops are a great idea. I'm not real thrilled about Dell stuff, but I'll definitely check out the others. Thanks,

Most people complain how bad dell is, I think they are referring to glossy cheap home edition laptops which IMO aren't that good, but dell business class line is a different ball game. I have yet to hear someone complain about those.

I would recommend looking into laptops that are specifically designed for students, such as the Microsoft Surface or the HP Spectre x360. These laptops are lightweight, durable, and have long battery life, making them perfect for law school. They also have full keyboards with a num pad and run on Windows, which meets your requirements. Additionally, these laptops are known for their stability and can easily handle Office-like apps without being overkill. Other options to consider would be the Dell XPS 13 or the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon. It's important to also consider the warranty and customer reviews when making a decision. Good luck!

1. What are the minimum system requirements for a laptop for law school?

The minimum system requirements for a laptop for law school are typically an Intel Core i5 or i7 processor, 8GB of RAM, and at least 256GB of storage. It is also recommended to have a dedicated graphics card and a good battery life.

2. Is it better to get a PC or a Mac for law school?

Both PC and Mac laptops can be suitable for law school, so it ultimately depends on personal preference. Macs are known for their sleek design and user-friendly interface, while PCs often offer more affordable options and a wider variety of software.

3. Do I need to purchase Microsoft Office for my laptop?

Many law schools provide students with access to Microsoft Office for free or at a discounted price. However, if your school does not offer this, it is recommended to have Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for writing papers and creating presentations.

4. Should I invest in a touchscreen laptop for law school?

A touchscreen laptop can be helpful for taking notes and highlighting text, but it is not a necessary feature for law school. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and learning style.

5. How important is the battery life for a laptop for law school?

Battery life is important for a laptop for law school, as you will likely be using it for long periods of time without access to a power outlet. Look for a laptop with at least 8 hours of battery life to ensure it can last through a full day of classes and studying.