1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laptop repair

1. Dec 19, 2005 #1
    my laptop fell on its power inlet with the charger plug in it and I think that something might have been broken. whatever is supposed to be at the back of the inlet, or at the end of the charger is what i think broke. My assumption is that it is the ground pin. how should I go about fixing this, I could return it since it is under warranty but I don't know how long acer would take to get my laptop back to me—my assumption is that it would be a long time. how should i go about fixing this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Is it broken or bent?

4. Dec 19, 2005 #3
    Do you have any experience with a soldering iron? if No, then just send it back to them and have it repaired, you'll be better off in the long run.

5. Dec 20, 2005 #4
    It is broken. And I don't have the part that broke off.

Yea, I'm used to soldering, but since i don't have the part that broke off, what can I substitute? Plus I'm not too sure where it has to be soldered back.

6. Dec 20, 2005 #5
    Laptop circuit boards tend to be pretty tight with not a lot of room between component solder points. Unless you have really really stead hands and a really really fine tip on your soldering iron, you stand a good chance of soldering together bits that shouldn't be soldered together. Then you'd really be up the creek without a paddle. Easiest thing to do is send it back

7. Dec 20, 2005 #6
    I should send it back, but I really cannot do without my laptop for the period of time which I assume it would be gone away.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?