Why do laptop transformer sizes vary so much?

In summary, the size of a laptop transformer can vary due to the current capabilities of the supply, with a higher current requiring a physically larger transformer. The little cylinder near the cable connector acts as a filter to prevent high frequency interference and also filters out RF signals from the laptop. The difference in size may also be due to the wattage and voltage requirements of the laptop, with a push towards packing more power into a smaller volume. However, this can also lead to overheating and design failures if not done properly.
Charles123
Why laptops transformer size varies so much?
Also, the little cylinder right next to the cable connector to the laptop is there to avoid that the laptop works as an antenna? How does that work?
Thank you
Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Charles

Most laptop PSU's these days are switchmode type. There isn't too much variation in physical size. any variation in size is mainly related to the variation in current capabilities of the supply. a 5A or so supply is going to need a physically larger transformer than one that only requires 3 or 4 Amps.

That little cylinder is an encapsulated ferrite core that the DC supply cable passes through before getting to the laptop.
It has 2 purposes ...
1) to filter any hi frequency generated by the SMPS from getting into the electronics of the laptop and causing instability problems
2) it also has the reverse filtering effect. the microprocessor circuitry etc of the laptop produces lots of RF at many frequencies. That ferrite core filters much of that out so that the DC power cable doesn't act like an antenna and radiate those signals

Dave

Thank you for your answer. But actually, and just as an example my Toshiba Qosmio x770, has a transformer twice as big and tree times heavier that my ASUS… none of them is more than 2 years old.

What wattage does each output? How big are the laptops?

russ_watters said:
What wattage does each output? How big are the laptops?

yeah that was going to be my next question

what is the voltage and current ratings of the large one compared to the small one ?

I still stand by what I stated its all to do with the current the unit needs to supply that determines its overall size

D

I understood your explanation, I was just comenting the diference in sized because you wrote - "There isn't too much variation in physical size.".
Thank you again
Regards

@ OP:

each is labelled with its output volts and amps. Look carefully at the small print on nametag.

If you read electronic design magazines there is a continual push to pack more power into smaller volume
so your observation is right - there is a LOT of variation even among swichers.it comes down to the skill of the design and manufacturing teams, can they find small parts and can they arrange to get rid of the waste heat
there have been plenty of overheating failures from "design oops'es", believe me.

1. What is a laptop transformer size?

A laptop transformer size refers to the physical dimensions of the power adapter or charger used to charge a laptop. It determines the compatibility of the adapter with different laptop models.

2. How do I know what size transformer my laptop needs?

To determine the size of transformer your laptop needs, you can check the label on your current charger or refer to your laptop's user manual. Alternatively, you can search for your laptop model online to find the recommended transformer size.

3. Is it important to match the transformer size with my laptop's requirements?

Yes, it is important to match the transformer size with your laptop's requirements. Using a transformer that is too small can result in slow charging or even damage to your laptop, while using a transformer that is too big can also cause damage.

4. Can I use a universal transformer for my laptop?

Yes, you can use a universal transformer for your laptop as long as the output voltage and amperage match your laptop's requirements. However, it is always best to use a transformer specifically designed for your laptop model to ensure compatibility and safety.

5. How do I choose the right size transformer for my laptop?

To choose the right size transformer for your laptop, you need to consider the voltage and amperage requirements of your laptop, as well as the physical size and type of connector. You can consult your laptop's user manual or contact the manufacturer for assistance in choosing the right transformer size.