Laptop for College: Physics/Engineering Major

• Thread starter PRodQuanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, the high school senior is considering purchasing a laptop for college and is looking for advice. Some laptops that have been mentioned are the Dell Inspirion E1505, the Microsoft M685-E Series, and the Sony Vaio. All three laptops have good specs for the price the high school senior is looking for.
PRodQuanta
I'm a high school senior and I'm going to be going off for college. My problem is, I'm not sure what type of laptop I want to purchase for college. I thought of no better place to ask than here (where the computer geniouses linger.)

I ask all of you because I, personally, can't see through all of the crap that the computer companies throw at me (and I'm sure most of you can). So here's some information that will hopefully help narrow things down:

1) I'm going to major in Physics and Engineering (possible Computer Science)
2) I'd like it to be a desktop replacing laptop. Thus, it has got to be somewhat powerful.
3)I would like it to be able to play videogames (its a hobby).
4)A PC
5)I would like to stay under $3000.(I could spend more, but not preferably)
6)I would like it to have a dvd/cd burner
7)Wireless internet capable
8) As large or larger than a 15" screen (preferably 17").
9) Last and least important: Somewhat light and portable

Now, I've done some searching and found some like the M685-E Series (microsoft I believe), Dell XPS M170, Sony Vaio (not sure which kind).

I don't know. I'm just looking for some direction here. Maybe with all of the information I gave you, you know of a perfect solution.

Any comments welcome. Thank you. I respect your knowledge and you opinion.

Paden Roder

Computer science news on Phys.org
I just ordered a Dell Inpirion E1505, it should be great. Specs are:

Proc: Dual Core 1.66Ghz
RAM : 1Gb
Hard Drive : 60Gb, 5400rpm
Video: Radeon x1400 w/ Hypermemory (256Mb)

DVD burner, Media Center (I'm formating it on arrival so it doesn't matter), Bluetooth 2.0, Wireless a/b/g...

Final price: 1,127 USD, free shipping.
Should arrive mid-April

I was going to suggest an alienware Laptop.

Why not get a docking station for the machine, it eliminates the absolute need for a larger screen and you still have a laptop to take all over campus...

ComputerGeek said:
I was going to suggest an alienware Laptop.

Me too :) But Dell just bought them out, wonder if there still will be as good spec as before

PRodQuanta said:
3)I would like it to be able to play videogames (its a hobby).
Be absolutely certain that you have a video adapter with dedicated (not shared) ram.

Thanks everybody.

Paden Roder

1. What are the recommended specifications for a laptop for a physics/engineering major?

The recommended specifications for a laptop for a physics/engineering major include a minimum of 8GB of RAM, a quad-core processor, at least 256GB of storage space, and a dedicated graphics card. It is also important to have a high-resolution display and a long battery life for extended use.

2. Is it necessary to have a specific brand or model for a laptop as a physics/engineering major?

No, it is not necessary to have a specific brand or model for a laptop as a physics/engineering major. The key is to have a laptop with the recommended specifications and that is reliable and durable for your needs.

3. Can a budget-friendly laptop still meet the requirements for a physics/engineering major?

Yes, there are budget-friendly laptops that can still meet the requirements for a physics/engineering major. It is important to do research and compare different options to find the best balance between cost and specifications.

4. Are there any software programs or applications that are essential for a physics/engineering major?

Yes, there are several software programs and applications that are essential for a physics/engineering major. These may include programming software, simulation tools, and mathematics software. It is important to check with your school and professors to see what specific programs they recommend.

5. How often do I need to upgrade my laptop as a physics/engineering major?

It depends on your specific needs and usage. As technology advances, some software programs and applications may require more powerful hardware, so it is important to regularly check for updates and assess if your current laptop can handle them. On average, a laptop may need to be upgraded every 2-3 years.