What are the best laptops for heavy usage and how can I prolong their lifespan?

• Thread starter Elwin.Martin
  • Start date
In summary, the individual has recently installed programs that are intensive on processing and RAM, causing their computer to run hot. They have taken precautions such as capping programs and using an external cooling pad, but their battery health has decreased from "excellent" to "fair." They are considering shutting down their computer instead of hibernating it to prevent further damage. They are also seeking advice on laptops that can handle heavy usage without overheating. One suggestion is the ASUS ROG G53JW, a portable gaming laptop with high specs and good cooling system. The individual is also questioning the effectiveness of hibernating for energy saving purposes.
Elwin.Martin
I decided to install some pretty processing and RAM intense programs lately (some of which activate when the computer is idle) and I noticed my computer was getting kind of hot. So I check the built in health monitor to find that the heat was still within the safe range, but my battery no longer reads as "excellent" and is now "fair." I'm taking precautions against future damage by capping said programs and using outlet power for the moment. I'm also using an external cooling pad, just in case. Part of the problem is that I often have things running for extended periods of time and I have my computer run at night (though again, on a cooling system) for a number of other reasons. It's not on 24/7 or anything...erm well, it's not "awake" 24/7? Do you think I could cut down on some of the hurt it's taking by simply shutting it down instead of hibernating it sometimes?

I know that every computer has it's limits, but do you guys know any laptops that can really take heavy usage...or would it be more sensible to only worry about these things for a desktop? I would really like to have the portability of a laptop, but there are some intensive computational processes that I would like to run, too. I don't want to kill my laptop (or any future one).

Thanks for any and all advice!
E_

Computer science news on Phys.org
Also, I believe that you can be proactive by 'shutting down' instead of hibernating. Don't quote me, but I have heard that 'hibernating' is not really that much better (at least from an energy saving perspective) than while 'awake.' I would look into this since the numbers I have heard were pretty bad.

1. What features make a laptop able to withstand abuse?

Some key features that contribute to a laptop's durability and ability to withstand abuse include a strong and sturdy chassis, shock-resistant components, spill-resistant keyboard, and reinforced ports and hinges.

2. Can a rugged laptop still have good performance?

Yes, rugged laptops are designed to be tough and durable without sacrificing performance. They often have high-quality processors, ample RAM, and fast storage options to ensure smooth and efficient operation.

3. Are rugged laptops waterproof?

Not all rugged laptops are completely waterproof, but many are designed to be water-resistant to some degree. This means they can withstand spills and moisture to a certain extent, but may not be fully waterproof.

4. How do rugged laptops differ from regular laptops?

Rugged laptops are specifically designed to withstand harsh environments and rough handling, while regular laptops are not. Rugged laptops often have reinforced frames, specialized cooling systems, and additional protective features that regular laptops do not have.

5. Are rugged laptops more expensive than regular laptops?

Generally, rugged laptops are more expensive than regular laptops due to their specialized design and durability features. However, the cost may vary depending on the brand, model, and specific features of the laptop.