Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Large Complete Ordered Fields

1. Oct 12, 2007 #1
    I was told that there are no complete ordered fields of cardinality greater than [tex]2^{\aleph_0}[/tex]. Why is that?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2007 #2
    i'm not 100% sure about this but..

I remember hearing a theorem that says that every ordered field with the least upper bound property is isomorphic to the reals. So every ordered field that is order-complete (ie has least upper bound property) has to have cardinality c.

hmmm..i'm not sure order-complete and complete are always equivalent
  4. Oct 12, 2007 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's think about it:

A field has to have 0 and 1, and hence all things of the form a/b for a,b sums of 1. This has cardinality at most |Q| the rationals, i.e. aleph_0. Now it has to be complete, so it must contain limits of all sequences of these elements. There are 2^\aleph_0 of these. The only question is now if there can be any other element. No there can't - if there were some element x I've not described, then I can assume it is positive by looking at -x if necessary, and if it's larger than 1, I can replace it with 1/x. Thus I have to show that any x such that 0<x<1 has already been described. But this is true, since I can construct a sequence of 'rationals' that approximate it by repeated bisection of the interval.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?