Large crater(s) in Siberia

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
Dotini
Gold Member
Each time another of these mysterious craters appear, scientists become more and more baffled.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/23/holes-siberia-investigation-safety_n_6736744.html

n-CRATER-large570.jpg

Scientists were baffled last July when they discovered three giant holes in the ground in the Yamal Peninsula in northern Siberia.

Now, with the help of satellite imagery, researchers have located four additional craters--and they believe there may be dozens more in the region. That has them calling for an urgent investigation to protect residents living in the area.

"I am sure that there are more craters on Yamal, we just need to search for them... I suppose there could be 20 to 30 craters more," Prof. Vasily Bogoyavlensky, a corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Sciences and deputy director of the Moscow-based Oil and Gas Research Institute, told The Siberian Times. "It is important not to scare people, but to understand that it is a very serious problem and we must research this."

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Now, with the help of satellite imagery, researchers have located four additional craters--and they believe there may be dozens more in the region.
Just browsed the Yamal on Google Earth --- "dozens?" --- there are thousands --- not all recent, certainly.

In addition to my quantative theory, given here in post 5, and originally posted 5 August 2014, at another site, along with the prediction it makes about surface temperature on the day when the 9.6% CH4 in the bottom of hole air was made, I also speculated as to how the hole was created at that site. Here is my suggestion about formation:

" What caused the large hole to very rapidly appear, I don't know, but tend to think the mechanism was something like this:
Surface liquid water at least a few degrees warmer than 0C formed small lakes* in summer, and that water found a path down to deliver heat that released CH4 from deep and old (from last ice age) methane ice hydrates, but time was needed** to use all the delivered heat. Thus, when winter returned to the area, the lake re-froze after most of the water had drained down and the path down was sealed with ice. This let the pressure of the CH4 from the thermally decomposing hydrates build up until it could, probably in the spring when ice above was not so strong, escape to the surface thru a weak point. Not a chemical explosion, but "pressure explosion" that ruptured the confining "tank."

* Note that there is a small lake visible in some photos taken of the area from helicopter last summer shortly after scientist learned of the new hole. It looks to me to be no more than 1km away from the Yamal hole most famous and first investigated.

** Just like a 0C ice cube dropped in few degree C water does not immediately all melt.

PS there appears to be an attached file. I don't know what it is or how it got there. I'm scared to try to delete it as fear the delete will remove my post.

Attachments

Last edited:
D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Just browsed the Yamal on Google Earth --- "dozens?" --- there are thousands --- not all recent, certainly.
I suspect you are mistaking the thousands of permafrost melt ponds that occur all across the north for those newly formed craters. For a striking example of the thousands of lakes in the far north, see this map https://www.google.com/maps/place/69°36'00.0"N+132°00'00.0"W/@69.6,-132,8z/ of the Tuktoyaktuk Peninsula, in the Canadian Northwest Territories.