Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Large Hadron Collider!

1. Aug 1, 2008 #1
    http://www.lhcountdown.com/?p=13#comments

The countdown is close to the end! Anyone know when we should expect results of new (or lack of) finds? I mean public announcement. A day? A week? 72 years!?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2008 #2
    From what I understand it will take a few months for the LHC to operate at full power as it is cranked up gradually. During this process we should start seeing what we saw at Fermi lab first, and see more top quarks. After that I have no clue.

4. Aug 1, 2008 #3

wolram

Gold Member

I hope they get some results in the first years, if they do not funding may dry up.

5. Aug 1, 2008 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If they don't get any results they still have other things to keep them busy:

http://xkcd.com/401/

:biggrin:

6. Aug 1, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Lol.

7. Aug 5, 2008 #6
    Is this site legit? I haven't been able to find public dates for anything, and this site doesn't seem even remotely affiliated with CERN. For all the significance of the LHC, there seems to be a severe lack of public information about what's actually going on, especially this late in the game.

8. Aug 5, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It appears to be someone's personal website.

9. Aug 5, 2008 #8
    Yeah, ain't WHOIS grand? ;)

10. Aug 5, 2008 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Were you peeking when I checked WHOIS? :tongue:

11. Aug 5, 2008 #10

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Not really sure what it is. I come up with a link to a travel beaches club as their phone number. They are apparently blind proxied through Dreamhost is all I can see.

Not Cern in any event.

12. Aug 5, 2008 #11
    I will celebrate when the Higgs Boson is not found.

13. Aug 5, 2008 #12

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

14. Aug 5, 2008 #13

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

These two probabilities are pretty much linked aren't they?

"Stable Black Holes That Eat Up the Earth, Destroying All Living Organisms in the Process: 10^-25%.

God: 10^-20%. "

Because surely if we find the first we will find the second as all Earth slips into the event horizon.

15. Aug 14, 2008 #14

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Schematic of proton injection tests at CERN

[​IMG]

16. Aug 14, 2008 #15
    Everybody! This thing HAS TO be stopped! It will end the world! No, not by black holes! ANGULAR MOMENTUM! The world will stop spinning and I Love Lucy marathons will never end! The humanity!

17. Aug 14, 2008 #16
    I like that --"No Access Underground during test"-----I wonder if they're thinking something may happen like in the movie --'The Philadelphia Experiment'

18. Aug 14, 2008 #17

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The beam line strays into the pipe walls enough to generate some short lived radiation, it takes a few days to 'cool down' after a run.
    There is also the risk of asphyxiation from the helium boil off from a magnet quench.
    But the biggest risk is fire, there is a lot of wiring/power down there and a fire in a concrete tunnel underground is difficult to fight.

As someone said to me - In case of fire, the sign-in board is just to know whose names to put on the memorial.

19. Aug 14, 2008 #18

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Here is the link to where the image is:
    http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/breaking/2008/08/11/lhc-test-successful/

Here is an interesting timeline of when confirmations of various theories may be made:

http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/breaking/2008/04/14/what-can-we-expect-from-the-lhc/

20. Aug 14, 2008 #19
    W and Z suck. Z' force? Come on. We can come up with better names than that. Like... like... the Dragon Force or something (nothing to do with the crappy band).

Yeah, that's all I got.

21. Aug 16, 2008 #20
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?