1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Large lenses for exhibition

1. Feb 22, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am an artist looking for advice on lenses for a project that will simulate 18th and 19th "peep-show" or "Rarekiek" boxes. See for example:

http://www.loeb-larocque.com/optica.php#peep

I wish to either source lenses directly or if the price is not too prohibitive, have a number of them made.

Traditionally these peep-show boxes (esp. the Dutch Rarekiek boxes) often used large-diameter double-convex lenses for viewing with two eyes. The lenses had low dioptre to enable the viewer to focus on an image at the rear of the box.

A feature of these lenses is that they gave a type of 3D effect when looking at coloured images. It's my understanding this occured because of chromatic aberration in the lens - that is, causing the focal planes of the various colours not to coincide - consequently some colours, reds for example, appeared to "float" in relation to other colours.

So given that, the lens I'm after should be a very simple one i think, one that doesn't attempt to correct for chromatic aberration as I gather most sophisticated lenses do.

Am I correct in my guesses? Can anyone please suggest a good way forward for me? For example where to source such lenses from or where to have them made.

Many thanks,

Iain

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted