Why do cheetahs have a large liver?

• Thread starter caters
  • Start date
In summary, cheetahs have large lungs and a large heart to facilitate oxygen delivery to their muscles during sprints. Their large liver, along with their spleen, also plays a crucial role in recycling red blood cells and aiding in metabolism, potentially contributing to their impressive speed. Additionally, caring for cheetah cubs and releasing them into the wild can strengthen one's obsession with these animals.
caters
I know that cheetahs have large lungs, a large heart, and a large liver.

I can understand why they have large lungs and a large heart. It is so they can get enough oxygen to their muscles during a sprint.

But why do they have a large liver? Do their red blood cells die really fast or something?

And if you are going to tell me to speak to a professional about my obsession with cheetahs(and the professional might tell me to take care of some cheetah cubs to eventually release them back into the wild and see what that is like(this would probably strengthen my obsession with cheetahs)) let me tell you this. Cheetahs are 1 of my favorite cats.

Biology news on Phys.org
caters said:
But why do they have a large liver?
The Cheetah’s long fluid body is set over extremely light bones, this accompanied with large nasal passages, and oversized lungs, liver, heart and adrenals enable rapid physical response.

http://bigcatrescue.org/cheetah-facts/

The liver is not only involved in recycling red blood cells. The liver is involved in many aspects of metabolism, such as storing carbohydrates and recycling lactic acid after anaerobic exercise (via the Cori cycle), which are probably help cheetahs to sprint as fast as they do.

Last edited:
Both the liver and the spleen are involved in recycling red blood cells. This is why Jaundice can be a sign of liver disease.

Likes epenguin and Ygggdrasil
caters said:
Both the liver and the spleen are involved in recycling red blood cells. This is why Jaundice can be a sign of liver disease.
I stand corrected. Thanks.

1. What causes large liver in cheetahs?

The large liver in cheetahs is caused by their high protein diet, which is necessary for their fast metabolism and energy needs. The liver acts as a storage organ for excess proteins and fats, resulting in an enlarged liver.

2. Is a large liver in cheetahs considered a health concern?

No, a large liver is a natural and normal adaptation in cheetahs. It does not pose any health concerns for the animal.

3. How does a large liver affect the cheetah's overall health?

A large liver actually helps the cheetah maintain its health by providing a constant supply of energy and nutrients. It also aids in digestion and detoxification.

4. Are there any other animals that have a similar adaptation of a large liver?

Yes, other large carnivores such as lions and leopards also have a similar adaptation of a large liver due to their high protein diets. However, the size of the liver may vary between species.

5. Can a large liver in cheetahs be a sign of disease or illness?

In most cases, a large liver in cheetahs is a natural and healthy adaptation. However, if the liver is abnormally enlarged or if the cheetah is showing other symptoms, it may be a sign of underlying disease or illness and should be evaluated by a veterinarian.