1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Large numbers

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1
    which is greater as n gets large, [itex] f(n) = 2^{2^{2^n}} [/itex] or [itex] g(n) = 100^{100^n} [/itex]

instinctively I'd go with f(n) but I have no idea of actually showing that f(n) would indeed get larger, obviously sticking in values of n doesn't particularly work. A method I was thinking was to show many digits would f(n) be when n=100, and same with g(n), I attempted this but to no avail,

any hints would be appreciated

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take the log of both functions. What do you think now? If you're not sure take the log again.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  4. Nov 26, 2012 #3
    [tex]ln(2^{2^{2^n}}) = 2^{2^n}ln(2) [/tex]
    [tex]ln(2^{2^n}ln(2)) = ln(2^{2^n}) + ln(ln(2)) = 2^nln(2) + ln(ln(2)) [/tex]

[tex]ln(100^{100^n}) = 100^nln100 [/tex]
    [tex]ln(100^nln(100)) = ln(100^n) + ln(ln(100)) = nln(100) + ln(ln(100)) [/tex]

from this I'm sure that 2^n will indeed grow much larger as it's an exponential however I don't particularly know how to conclude.

Also, is there anyway I can do it by looking at the digits?

5. Nov 26, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. Now it's pretty obvious 2^n will be much larger than n for n large. If you want to be formal about it you could use l'Hopital's theorem on the ratio of the ln(ln)'s. But I don't think you have to. And this is really the same as counting digits. To find the number of digits you would look at log base 10 of each expression. When you take the second log you are basically looking at the log of the number of digits.

6. Nov 26, 2012 #5
    Thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook