How does the concept of wave functions apply to large objects?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of particle/wave duality and the association of all objects with wave functions. The larger an object is, the smaller its wavelength and this effect is described in the Mr. Tompkins books by George Gamov. If Planks constant were larger, objects like elephants would be fuzzy and difficult to swat, while smaller objects like mosquitoes would be spread over a large area.
Ty1erC
Let me preface this by saying I am no physicist. This is a hobby of mine, and I'm trying to piece together knowledge as pick it up from different sources.

I understand the particle/wave duality of particles like electrons (at least I think so). I cannot grasp, however, the leap in thinking that associates ALL objects (like people) with wave functions. Can someone enlighten me on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything has a wavelength but the larger the object the smaller the wavelength so it's only noticeable for pretty small things - like electrons or photons.

There is a great series of books by the famous physicist George Gamov, the Mr Tompkins books, one of which describes what would happen if Planks constant (the number that sets the size of this effect) were larger. Elephants would just be a little but fussy around the edges but a mosquito would be spread of a cubic mile and impossible to swat. tigers running though a forest would be diffracted and come out at different angles.

What are Large Object Wave Functions?

Large Object Wave Functions are mathematical descriptions of the quantum states of macroscopic objects, such as molecules, atoms, and even larger systems like crystals or nanoparticles. They represent the probability of finding a large object in a certain position and can also describe its energy and other physical properties.

How are Large Object Wave Functions different from Small Object Wave Functions?

Large Object Wave Functions are different from Small Object Wave Functions in that they are applicable to macroscopic objects, while Small Object Wave Functions are used for describing the quantum states of subatomic particles. Large Object Wave Functions take into account the collective behavior of a large number of particles, while Small Object Wave Functions only describe individual particles.

What is the significance of Large Object Wave Functions in quantum mechanics?

Large Object Wave Functions are significant in quantum mechanics as they provide a framework for understanding the behavior of macroscopic objects at the quantum level. They help explain the phenomena of superposition and entanglement, which are crucial for technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography.

How are Large Object Wave Functions experimentally verified?

Large Object Wave Functions can be experimentally verified through various techniques, such as interferometry or diffraction experiments. These experiments involve sending large objects, such as molecules or particles, through a series of slits or barriers and observing their resulting patterns, which can then be compared to the predicted wave functions.

Can Large Object Wave Functions be observed directly?

No, Large Object Wave Functions cannot be observed directly as they are mathematical descriptions of the quantum states of macroscopic objects. However, their effects can be observed through experiments and measurements, providing evidence for their existence and accuracy.