Large Sample Test: Rejecting Hypothesis at 5% Significance

• Thread starter vandanak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the large sample test is used to test the hypothesis that the standard deviation of output per acre of all firms producing wheat is 107 kg. The test is done using the chi-squared statistic. The chi-squared statistic is found using X^2 = (N-1)s^2/ sigma^2 and a normal random variable is found using Z = sqrt( 2 X^2) - sqrt(2( N-1)-1 ).
vandanak
can someone give me hint of how to do this question
If the standard deviation of output per acre from a sample of 34 representative firms producing wheat 83 kg ,is the hypothesis that standard deviation of output per acre of all firms producing wheat is 107 kg rejected at 5% level of significance? (large sample test)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks got the point.

Don't thank me too soon! I was just thinking about this again. The (107)^2 is not a sample variance. It is a hypothesized variance. So I think you use a chi-square test.

For sample size N, ((N-1) s^2)/ sigma^2 is distributed as chi squared with N-1 degrees of freedom. s = sample variance.

The title of your post is "large sample test". I don' have any statistical tables handy, so I don't know if you N is too large for a table.

1. What is a large sample test?

A large sample test is a statistical method used to determine if a hypothesis is valid or not. It involves collecting a large sample of data and analyzing it to make conclusions about the population from which the sample was drawn.

2. What does it mean to reject a hypothesis at 5% significance?

Rejecting a hypothesis at 5% significance means that the data collected has provided enough evidence to suggest that the null hypothesis is not true. This conclusion is made with 95% confidence, meaning there is a 5% chance that the result was due to random chance.

3. How do you determine the significance level in a large sample test?

The significance level, also known as alpha, is usually predetermined before conducting the test. The most commonly used significance level is 5%, meaning that there is a 95% confidence level in the results. However, the significance level can also be adjusted depending on the specific study or research question.

4. What is a null hypothesis in a large sample test?

A null hypothesis is a statement that assumes there is no significant difference between groups or variables being compared. It is typically denoted as H0 and is the basis for statistical testing. The alternative hypothesis, denoted as H1, is the opposite of the null hypothesis and is what the researcher is trying to prove.

5. Can a large sample test always determine the cause and effect relationship between variables?

No, a large sample test alone cannot determine cause and effect. While it can provide evidence for or against a hypothesis, further research and analysis are often needed to establish a causal relationship between variables.