Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Larger messaging window

1. Nov 28, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I would like to see a larger messaging window. It would allow me to do more editing and checking before submitting, which would save me submitting and then editting my mistakes over and over (which would lessen demand on database access). I just don't take advantage of the Preview function.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2006 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have the same problem. I learned to deal with it though.

I've also never used the preview function. A lot of times, I just do a quick reply.

4. Nov 28, 2006 #3
    Either use notepad, wordpad, or click the "Go Advanced" button. What's the problem? Wordpad has an added bonus as well, you won't need to worry about typos, such as 'editting'. :wink:

5. Nov 28, 2006 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see why the messaging window can't be larger.
    Are these side margins surrounding the window necessary?

Concerning using off-line editors... I would only use it if I need some special feature of the editor [like spell-check or column-editing or search-replace]. For me, it would be best if the web-based interface was full-featured enough not to use an off-line editor. [How many folks write email in another editor, then paste it into the email-client's editor?]

I like the preview function... I'd like it better if [tex]\LaTeX[/tex]-in-the-preview was working again. :grumpy:

6. Nov 28, 2006 #5
    There, I increased width by 22px :smile:

btw, there are two up arrows and down arrows to increase message window height next to the abc spell check icon in the upper right

7. Nov 28, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, something else I never noticed before. Of course, the vBulletin developers and I think in opposite directions...I clicked the UP arrows to increase the size, and instead, the bottom of the message window moved up to make it smaller. :rolleyes: :rofl:

8. Nov 29, 2006 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I never noticed those tiny icons over there on the right. They look like little fast forward / rewind buttons, not larger/smaller icons.

I've attached some modified icons if you wanted to use them.

Attached Files:

9. Nov 29, 2006 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Those who might prefer real-time spell-checking might want to try the newest version of Firefox. It underlines misspelled words with a row of fine red dots as soon as you space or punctuate after a word. If you click on the word, you'll be presented with a list of options, and you can choose to add the word to the dictionary if you know it's spelled correctly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?