What is the largest reflection angle in the Chandra X-ray telescope?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a question involving the Chandra X-ray telescope. The question asks for the largest reflection angle in the optics and the person has already calculated the wavelength but is stuck on how to proceed. They are also reminded to check private messages for further instructions.
ExoP
Hi!

I'm having a problem with one assignment and I would really need som help. The question is:

The Chandra X-ray telescope is used for observations in the 0.1-10 keV range. Focal
length is 10 m, max mirror radius is 0.6 m. What is the largest reflection angle in the optics
(assuming that both reflections are of the same size)?

I started first to find the wavelength by using the E=hc/λ formula. I got 12,4082 nm. After that, I'm stuck...Glad if anyone could help :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Please check your forum Private Messages (PMs). Reply to me if you do not understand what I and other Mentor's have been telling you about where to post homework questions.

1. What is the largest reflection angle?

The largest reflection angle refers to the angle at which a ray of light is reflected off a surface. It is measured from the surface normal, which is an imaginary line perpendicular to the surface at the point of reflection.

2. How is the largest reflection angle calculated?

The largest reflection angle can be calculated using the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence (incoming ray) is equal to the angle of reflection (outgoing ray). This can be represented by the equation: θi = θr, where θi is the angle of incidence and θr is the angle of reflection.

3. What affects the largest reflection angle?

The largest reflection angle is affected by the type of surface the light is being reflected off of, as well as the angle at which the light hits the surface. Smooth, shiny surfaces tend to have larger reflection angles compared to rough, matte surfaces.

4. Why is the largest reflection angle important?

The largest reflection angle is important in understanding how light behaves when it interacts with different surfaces. It can also be used in practical applications, such as designing mirrors or other reflective surfaces.

5. Can the largest reflection angle be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the largest reflection angle cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because the angle of incidence and angle of reflection must always be equal according to the law of reflection, and a 90 degree angle is the maximum angle that can be formed between two lines.