1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Larmor frequency

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate Larmor frequency and the allowed values of the magnetic energy for an electron in a state n=2 of an hydrogen atom. Consider that there's an external magnetic field of intensity B=1T.

2. Relevant equations
    No idea. I don't have any info on this in my classnotes. So I checked out http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/larmor.html#c1 but I get lost.

3. The attempt at a solution
    From my understanding, in the state n=2 the electron can have either a "spin up" or "spin down" (though I never learned yet what is the spin). What I understand from my reading is that if there's an external magnetic field, the electron will suffer a torque and "precess" with the Larmor frequency. But I don't know how to relate this with the state n=2 in the hydrogen atom.
    According to hyperphysics: [itex]\omega _{\text {Larmor}}=\frac{eB}{2m_e}[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2
  4. Nov 4, 2011 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

I appreciate your help but there's nothing that can help me there I think. I know that the magnetic field will causes more emission/absorption lines due to Zeenman effect but there's nothing said for "Larmor frequency" in wikipedia and the pictures of the links.
    In hyperphysics I found the equation [itex]\Delta E = m_l \mu _B B[/itex]. Not sure this can help me. I also found [itex]\Delta E =g_L m_j \mu _B B[/itex].
    I'm actually totally lost.

5. Nov 6, 2011 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

I think I got it.
    Electron in state n=2 means that the quantum number m can only be -1,0 or 1.
    Now I use the fact that [itex]\Delta E = \mu _B mB[/itex]. So I take m=1 for example so I get the value of [itex]\Delta E[/itex]. Then I also know that [itex]\Delta E = h \nu[/itex]. I just have to solve for [itex]\nu[/itex], this is Larmor frequency.
    If I said something wrong please let me know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook