Larmor precession in a 2D B-field

In summary, the conversation discusses finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors for the H matrix and using them to create a state vector with time dependence. The precession will be around the resultant of the two components of the external magnetic field. The Larmor frequency and expectation value of S_z will also have time dependence. However, using a coordinate system with the z-axis aligned with the field direction simplifies the analysis, similar to how choosing a Cartesian coordinate system simplifies projectile motion. The speaker is grateful for the explanation and will continue exploring the topic.
Benhur
Homework Statement
I have a situation with a spin 1/2 particle in a couple of magnetic fields (one - Bo - in the Z direction, and another - Γo - in the X direction). I found the energy eigenvalues for the system, but I don't know how to mount the time-dependent state vector, χ(t). I need this to determine the expected values for Sx, Sy and Sz. (It's a problem inspired in the Example 4.3 of the Griffiths book: Introduction to Quantum Mechanics - Chapter 4 -)
Relevant Equations
The Hamiltonian in the matrix form (I guess it is made by the relation H = -γ.Bo.Sz - γ.Γo.Sx); Pauli spin matrices; some other relations in the Chapter 4 of the book.
I just tried to find the eigenvalues (for the energy), obtaining E = ±(γħ.√(Bo² + Γo²))/2 and the corresponding eigenvectors for the H matrix. But I don't know what to do to create de state vector χ.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know ##\chi (0)##? If so, write it is as a linear combination of the eigenvectors (I assume you found them) and tack on the time dependence in the usual way, ##e^{-iE_1 t/\hbar}## and ##e^{-iE_2 t/\hbar}##.

Likes Cryo and Benhur
So, I don't have a specific initial state. Instead, I have the general expression χ(0) = (a b). I was thinking in use the consideration of the book (a = cos(α/2) and b = sin(α/2)). But... in the end, precession seems like it's going to get weird (am I right to say that the precession it's going to be with a angle between Z and X axis?)

The precession will be around the resultant of the two components of the external magnetic field. All you are doing is redefining the coordinate system relative to the coordinate system in Griffiths in which the field ##B_0## is taken to be along the ##z##-axis. The Larmor frequency in your case will be ##\omega_L=\gamma \sqrt{B_0^2+\Gamma_0^2}##. Also the expectation value of ##S_z## in your system of coordinates will end up having a time dependence. It looks like a lot of algebra that will obfuscate rather than clarify one's understanding of the physical situation. In this problem we put the axis of quantization ##z## along the field direction (without loss of generality) for a good reason, it makes the analysis simple to do and understand.

Compare this with projectile motion. Sure, you could devise a coordinate system in which the acceleration of gravity is at arbitrary spherical angles ##\theta## and ##\phi## relative to the cartesian axes, but what will you gain from that other than a more complex description of the motion?

Likes Benhur
Yes, I got it. Thank you for the explanation, I was very confused but now I can see a little bit better. I will explore more to see how far I get.

What is Larmor precession in a 2D B-field?

Larmor precession in a 2D B-field refers to the phenomenon where a charged particle, such as an electron, experiences a circular motion when placed in a magnetic field that is perpendicular to its original motion. This motion is known as precession and is a result of the particle's spin interacting with the magnetic field.

What is the significance of Larmor precession in a 2D B-field?

Larmor precession is important in many scientific fields, including nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It allows us to study the behavior and properties of particles, such as electrons, in magnetic fields and provides valuable information about the structure and composition of materials.

How is Larmor precession in a 2D B-field calculated?

The frequency of Larmor precession can be calculated using the Larmor equation, which takes into account the particle's charge, mass, and the strength of the magnetic field. This equation is often used in NMR and MRI experiments to determine the magnetic properties of a sample.

What factors can affect Larmor precession in a 2D B-field?

The frequency of Larmor precession can be affected by changes in the strength of the magnetic field, as well as changes in the particle's charge or mass. Additionally, the presence of other nearby particles or external electromagnetic fields can also influence the precession frequency.

How is Larmor precession in a 2D B-field used in practical applications?

Larmor precession has many practical applications, such as in NMR and MRI technology for medical imaging and in the study of materials in physics and chemistry. It is also used in particle accelerators and in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing.