Larmor precession pi/2 out of phase

Therefore, in summary, the given matrix [0,-w;-w,0] is diagonalized to find the equation of motion for \s_+, s_-. This shows that \s_+ and \s_- are out of phase by pi/2 and can be used to show that \s_x, s_y are also out of phase by pi/2.
hangainlover

Homework Statement

I was going over the solution where it says [itex]\s_x, s_y[/itex] are out of phase by pi/2.
They first wrote equation of motion for [itex]\s_x, s_y[/itex] and then did something to the matrix and now the have equation of motion for [itex]\s_+, s_-[/itex]
They rewrite [itex]\s_x, s_y[/itex] in terms of [itex]\s_+, s_-[/itex] to see that [itex]\s_x, s_y[/itex] are out of phase bi pi/2,
I don't get what they did to the matrix [0,-w;-w,0]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was just trying to understand the solution. when i initially made an attempt, i only noticed [itex]\s_x, s_y[/itex] are precessing .
I have attached the solution

Attachments

• ccccccc.JPG
    ccccccc.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
.Solution:The equation of motion for \s_x, s_y is \dot \s_x = -w \s_y\dot \s_y = w \s_xWe can rewrite this in matrix form as[\dot \s_x; \dot \s_y] = [0,-w;-w,0][\s_x; \s_y]To find the equation of motion for \s_+, s_-, we diagonalize the matrix [0,-w;-w,0] by writing[\s_x; \s_y] = [1,1;1,-1][\s_+; \s_-]This gives us [\dot \s_x; \dot \s_y] = [0,-w;-w,0][1,1;1,-1][\s_+; \s_-]Simplifying, we get [\dot \s_+; \dot \s_-] = [-w,0;0,w][\s_+; \s_-]Comparing this to the general form of the equation of motion, we see that \s_+ and \s_- are oscillating with frequency w, and they are out of phase by pi/2. We can also see that \s_x, s_y are out of phase by pi/2 by rewriting \s_x = \frac{1}{2}(\s_+ + \s_-)\s_y = \frac{1}{2}(\s_+ - \s_-)

1. What is Larmor precession pi/2 out of phase?

Larmor precession pi/2 out of phase refers to the phenomenon where the spins of atomic nuclei in a magnetic field rotate by 90 degrees out of phase with each other.

2. What causes Larmor precession pi/2 out of phase?

Larmor precession pi/2 out of phase is caused by the interaction between the spin of the atomic nuclei and an external magnetic field. This interaction causes the spins to rotate at a specific frequency, known as the Larmor frequency.

3. What is the significance of Larmor precession pi/2 out of phase in physics?

Larmor precession pi/2 out of phase has important applications in physics, particularly in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It allows scientists to study the properties and structures of molecules and materials by measuring the precession of atomic nuclei in a magnetic field.

4. How is Larmor precession pi/2 out of phase related to quantum mechanics?

Larmor precession pi/2 out of phase is a result of the quantum mechanical property of spin. The spin of atomic nuclei can only take certain discrete values, and the interaction with a magnetic field causes it to precess at a specific frequency determined by the Larmor equation.

5. Can Larmor precession pi/2 out of phase be observed in everyday life?

While Larmor precession pi/2 out of phase is not directly observable in everyday life, its applications in NMR and MRI have greatly impacted modern technology and medicine. These techniques are used for a wide range of purposes, from studying the structures of materials to diagnosing medical conditions.