1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Larson 4.1.6

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Larson 4.1.6

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that there are infinitely many natural numbers a with the following property: The number n^4+a is not prime for any number n.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I cannot even think of one such natural number a. :(
    I need to find some way to factor this after we put some restrictions on a. That is we need to express a in a special form that makes this factorable. If a is equal to b^4, it is not necessarily factorable. In fact, I don't know of any power of b that will make it factorable. a cannot be a function of n. I really don't know what to do.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2008 #2
    a=(multiple of 5)-1
    hence infinite
    i guess
    correct me if iam wrong
    have you any idea of fermat theorm
    n^5-n is divisible by 5
    can be prooved ,it is a simpler form of fermat theorm
    n(n^4-1) certainly n^4 -1 is divisible by 5
    add any multiple of 5 to it
    you get
  4. Jan 7, 2008 #3
    Fermat's Little Theorem says that if p is a prime number that does not divide an integer n, then [itex] n^{p-1} \equiv 1 \mod p [/itex].

Therefore that will only apply when n is not divisible by 5. We need a proof for all n in N.
  5. Jan 7, 2008 #4
    Maybe you can use Sophie Germain's identity:
    [tex]a^4 + 4 b^4 = (a^2 + 2 b^2 + 2 a b) (a^2 + 2 b^2 - 2 a b)[/tex].
  6. Jan 7, 2008 #5
    Wow. Thanks. I'm glad I posted this question because I never would have thought of that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?