Proving Infinitely Many Natural Numbers: Larson 4.1.6

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving the existence of infinitely many natural numbers a, where the expression n^4+a is not prime for any value of n. The conversation presents different strategies and techniques, such as using Fermat's Little Theorem and Sophie Germain's identity, to solve the problem. The final solution involves using Sophie Germain's identity to prove that there are indeed infinitely many values of a that satisfy the given condition.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] Larson 4.1.6

Homework Statement

Prove that there are infinitely many natural numbers a with the following property: The number n^4+a is not prime for any number n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot even think of one such natural number a. :(
I need to find some way to factor this after we put some restrictions on a. That is we need to express a in a special form that makes this factorable. If a is equal to b^4, it is not necessarily factorable. In fact, I don't know of any power of b that will make it factorable. a cannot be a function of n. I really don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
a=4
a=(multiple of 5)-1
hence infinite
i guess
correct me if iam wrong
have you any idea of fermat theorm
n^5-n is divisible by 5
can be prooved ,it is a simpler form of fermat theorm
n(n^4-1) certainly n^4 -1 is divisible by 5
add any multiple of 5 to it
you get

Fermat's Little Theorem says that if p is a prime number that does not divide an integer n, then [itex] n^{p-1} \equiv 1 \mod p [/itex].

Therefore that will only apply when n is not divisible by 5. We need a proof for all n in N.

Maybe you can use Sophie Germain's identity:
[tex]a^4 + 4 b^4 = (a^2 + 2 b^2 + 2 a b) (a^2 + 2 b^2 - 2 a b)[/tex].

durt said:
Maybe you can use Sophie Germain's identity:
[tex]a^4 + 4 b^4 = (a^2 + 2 b^2 + 2 a b) (a^2 + 2 b^2 - 2 a b)[/tex].

Wow. Thanks. I'm glad I posted this question because I never would have thought of that.

1. What is the concept of proving infinitely many natural numbers?

The concept of proving infinitely many natural numbers is based on the idea that there is no largest natural number. In other words, for any natural number, there will always be a larger natural number. This concept is an important part of mathematical proofs and is used to show that certain statements or equations hold true for all natural numbers.

2. How is the proof of infinitely many natural numbers typically presented?

The proof of infinitely many natural numbers is typically presented using mathematical induction, which is a method of mathematical proof that involves proving a statement for a base case (usually n=1), and then showing that if the statement holds true for any natural number k, it also holds true for k+1. This process is repeated indefinitely, thus proving that the statement holds true for all natural numbers.

3. What is the significance of proving infinitely many natural numbers?

Proving infinitely many natural numbers is significant because it establishes the concept of infinity in mathematics. It also allows us to make generalizations and conclusions about all natural numbers, rather than just a finite set. This concept is used in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, number theory, and analysis.

4. Can the concept of infinitely many natural numbers be applied to other types of numbers?

Yes, the concept of infinitely many natural numbers can be applied to other types of numbers, such as integers, rational numbers, and real numbers. However, the method of proof may differ depending on the type of numbers being considered. For example, in order to prove that there are infinitely many integers, we would use a different method of proof than we would for natural numbers.

5. Are there any real-life applications of proving infinitely many natural numbers?

While the concept of proving infinitely many natural numbers may not have direct real-life applications, it is a fundamental concept in mathematics that is used to prove many important theorems and equations. It also allows us to make generalizations and predictions about the behavior of natural numbers, which can be applied in various fields such as finance, statistics, and computer science.