Proving A Subset of Finite Group G

In summary, A contains more than one-half of the elements of G, and each element of G is the product of two elements of A.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] Larson 4.4.13

Homework Statement

A is a subset of a finite group G, and A contains more than one-half of the elements of G. Prove that each element of G is the product of two elements of A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is that even true? What if G is just the union of the cyclic group with 20 elements and the cyclic group with 21 elements. Let A = C_21. ord(G) = 20+21-1=40. A has more than half of the elements of G but you cannot get any elements of the C_20 subgroup except the identity with a product of elements of the C_12 subgroup.

Physics news on Phys.org
The union of two groups? What binary operation are you giving it, i.e. how is C_20[itex]\cup[/itex]C_21 a group?

Oh. I forgot that the binary operation has to be defined between elements of C_20 and C_21, not just within C_20 and within C_21.

Then it probably is true. Let me think about it.

ehrenfest said:
Oh. I forgot that the binary operation has to be defined between elements of C_20 and C_21, not just within C_20 and within C_21.

Then it probably is true. Let me think about it.

Do that. This is not the most difficult question you've posted by a long shot.

I assume that the two elements in the problem statement are not necessarily distinct. Otherwise, Z_11 and A = {0,1,2,3,4,5} is a counterexample because you cannot add any two distinct elements of A to get 10.

Let S be the set of all ordered 2-element subsets of A. S has |A|^2-|A| elements. |A|^2 > |G|^2/4-|G|/2. I want to show that at least |G| of the products of the of the two-element sets in A are distinct. This approach does not seem like it will work...

Maybe I should consider cases. If the e is in A, then any element a in A equal a*e. If e is not in A, I'm not really sure what to do...

Here's a hint: inverses are key.

morphism said:
Here's a hint: inverses are key.

Very nice hint. Short but helpful.

Let g be any element of G. Then the left coset g*A^{-1} has order greater than |G|/2, so it must intersect A, since A also has the same order. That means there must be elements in A, a_1 and a_2, such that g*a_1^{-1}=a_2. That is g=a_1*a_2.

Is that right?

Looks good to me (although I believe the word "coset" is reserved for subgroups)!

1. What is a subset of a finite group G?

A subset of a finite group G is a collection of elements from G that satisfies the group axioms and is closed under the group operation.

2. How do you prove that a subset of a finite group G is a subgroup?

To prove that a subset of a finite group G is a subgroup, you must show that it satisfies the group axioms and is closed under the group operation. This can be done by verifying that the subset contains the identity element, that every element has an inverse within the subset, and that the subset is closed under the group operation.

3. Can a subset of a finite group G be a subgroup if it is not closed under the group operation?

No, a subset of a finite group G can only be considered a subgroup if it is closed under the group operation. This is one of the defining properties of a subgroup.

4. How can I determine if a subset of a finite group G is a normal subgroup?

A subset of a finite group G is a normal subgroup if and only if it is closed under the group operation and for every element in the group, the conjugate of that element is also in the subgroup.

5. What is the significance of proving a subset of a finite group G is a subgroup or normal subgroup?

Proving that a subset of a finite group G is a subgroup or normal subgroup allows us to make conclusions about the structure and properties of the original group. It also allows us to simplify calculations and proofs by working with smaller, more manageable groups.