1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Larson 4.4.13

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Larson 4.4.13

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A is a subset of a finite group G, and A contains more than one-half of the elements of G. Prove that each element of G is the product of two elements of A.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is that even true? What if G is just the union of the cyclic group with 20 elements and the cyclic group with 21 elements. Let A = C_21. ord(G) = 20+21-1=40. A has more than half of the elements of G but you cannot get any elements of the C_20 subgroup except the identity with a product of elements of the C_12 subgroup.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The union of two groups? What binary operation are you giving it, i.e. how is C_20[itex]\cup[/itex]C_21 a group?

4. Jan 9, 2008 #3
    Oh. I forgot that the binary operation has to be defined between elements of C_20 and C_21, not just within C_20 and within C_21.

Then it probably is true. Let me think about it.

5. Jan 9, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do that. This is not the most difficult question you've posted by a long shot.

6. Jan 9, 2008 #5
    I assume that the two elements in the problem statement are not necessarily distinct. Otherwise, Z_11 and A = {0,1,2,3,4,5} is a counterexample because you cannot add any two distinct elements of A to get 10.

Let S be the set of all ordered 2-element subsets of A. S has |A|^2-|A| elements. |A|^2 > |G|^2/4-|G|/2. I want to show that at least |G| of the products of the of the two-element sets in A are distinct. This approach does not seem like it will work...

Maybe I should consider cases. If the e is in A, then any element a in A equal a*e. If e is not in A, I'm not really sure what to do....

7. Jan 9, 2008 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's a hint: inverses are key.

8. Jan 9, 2008 #7
    Very nice hint. Short but helpful.

Let g be any element of G. Then the left coset g*A^{-1} has order greater than |G|/2, so it must intersect A, since A also has the same order. That means there must be elements in A, a_1 and a_2, such that g*a_1^{-1}=a_2. That is g=a_1*a_2.

Is that right?

9. Jan 9, 2008 #8

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good to me (although I believe the word "coset" is reserved for subgroups)!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?