Solving the Larson Problem: Constructing 0 & 1 Divisible Integers

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding an integer composed of only 0s and 1s that is divisible by a given integer n. The initial attempt at a solution involved checking various values of n and noting the pattern, but the speaker then suggests using modular arithmetic and the Chinese Remainder Theorem to construct such a number. Another participant mentions a previous proof that any group of n+1 numbers contains two whose difference is divisible by n, which easily solves the problem. The speaker does not remember starting a thread on this topic.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] larson problem

Homework Statement

Note: sorry to Loren Larson for constantly misspelling your last name as "larsen" and sorry to everyone who has been wondering who Loren Larsen is.

Given an integer n, show that an integer can always be found that contains only the digits 0 and 1 (in the base 10 notation) and which is divisible by n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I checked this for n=1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and found

1*1=1
2*5=10
3*37=111
4*20=100
5*2=10
6*185=1110
7*143=1001

I think those are the lowest. I fail to see any pattern. I am trying to use the fact that

[tex] n= \sum_i^{ \left\lfloor \log_{10}(n) \right\rfloor}c_i 10^i [/tex]

where c_i is between 0 and 9 inclusive, but I don't see how that will help me construct a number where c_i = 0 or 1. This chapter is called modular arithmetic, so the solution probably uses mods somehow. Maybe I can use the Chinese Remainder Theorem somehow because I just need to show that this integer exists...

Physics news on Phys.org
There was a thread on this recently in the forum with the title "Fun Divisibility Problem". But you recently proved any group of n+1 numbers contains two whose difference is divisible by n, right? Consider the n+1 numbers, 1,11,111,1111,11111, etc.

Dick said:
But you recently proved any group of n+1 numbers contains two whose difference is divisible by n, right?

That's obviously true, and I see how that solves the problem. I don't remember starting a thread on that topic, though.

Last edited:
Well, you've posted similar enough problems that the proof ought to be a piece of cake.

1. What is the Larson Problem?

The Larson Problem is a mathematical challenge that involves constructing integers that are divisible by both 0 and 1. This problem has puzzled mathematicians for decades and has yet to be solved.

2. Why is the Larson Problem important?

Solving the Larson Problem would have significant implications in mathematics and computer science. It would provide a better understanding of number theory and could potentially lead to advancements in cryptography and computer algorithms.

3. What have been the proposed solutions to the Larson Problem?

There have been various attempts to solve the Larson Problem, including using complex numbers and non-standard arithmetic operations. However, none of these solutions have been proven to be correct.

4. What are the challenges in solving the Larson Problem?

The main challenge in solving the Larson Problem lies in the fact that division by 0 is undefined in mathematics. This means that traditional mathematical operations cannot be used to construct 0 & 1 divisible integers.

5. Is there any progress being made towards solving the Larson Problem?

While the Larson Problem remains unsolved, there are ongoing efforts by mathematicians and computer scientists to find a solution. Some researchers are exploring alternative number systems and mathematical concepts to tackle the problem.