Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser/active medium question.

1. Aug 23, 2012 #1
    I have no doubt that someone, someone somewhere has tried this.
    but if you take a 10 WAT output from a argon beam and run it through a Rubie Active medium chamber I would expect that the light would be excited to a higher range.
    Am I in error?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2
    Why does the intensity of the beam matter?

4. Aug 23, 2012 #3
    i presume you are referring to the 10 Wat's. one needs a starting point.

5. Aug 24, 2012 #4

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Yes, you are in error. (Presuming by higher "range" you mean frequency).

Why would you expect the light to be excited to a higher frequency with increased pump power?

Claude.

6. Aug 25, 2012 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps the OP means to ask if the light would be amplified to a higher power via stimulated emission, as happens inside a laser.

In this case, I would say no, as Ruby is used to amplify red light at 694 nm, whereas argon lasers produce blue or green wavelengths.

7. Aug 29, 2012 #6
    I think you are right. I'm not as smart as you all. I like thinking of this stuff
    I prefer stellar physics.
    But..I wonder so much about so many things.

So I am going to retry asking my question.

I pump light in go a argon active medium chamber what i get out is 10 WATS of green beam. IF i put said 10 WATS in to a red active medium chamber. Will the output of the beam (assume only 1 watt due to the %90 loss) but the beam wave crests would be tighter, yes?
    or, would it have no effect at all but to recolor the light to red?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook