Laser/active medium question.

• Thread starter Grimstone
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have no doubt that someone, someone somewhere has tried this.
but if you take a 10 WAT output from a argon beam and run it through a Rubie Active medium chamber I would expect that the light would be excited to a higher range.
Am I in error?

Answers and Replies

Why does the intensity of the beam matter?

i presume you are referring to the 10 Wat's. one needs a starting point.

Claude Bile
Science Advisor
I have no doubt that someone, someone somewhere has tried this.
but if you take a 10 WAT output from a argon beam and run it through a Rubie Active medium chamber I would expect that the light would be excited to a higher range.
Am I in error?
Yes, you are in error. (Presuming by higher "range" you mean frequency).

Why would you expect the light to be excited to a higher frequency with increased pump power?

Claude.

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Perhaps the OP means to ask if the light would be amplified to a higher power via stimulated emission, as happens inside a laser.

In this case, I would say no, as Ruby is used to amplify red light at 694 nm, whereas argon lasers produce blue or green wavelengths.

Perhaps the OP means to ask if the light would be amplified to a higher power via stimulated emission, as happens inside a laser.

In this case, I would say no, as Ruby is used to amplify red light at 694 nm, whereas argon lasers produce blue or green wavelengths.
I think you are right. I'm not as smart as you all. I like thinking of this stuff
I prefer stellar physics.
But..I wonder so much about so many things.

So I am going to retry asking my question.

I pump light in go a argon active medium chamber what i get out is 10 WATS of green beam. IF i put said 10 WATS in to a red active medium chamber. Will the output of the beam (assume only 1 watt due to the %90 loss) but the beam wave crests would be tighter, yes?
or, would it have no effect at all but to recolor the light to red?