How Does Using Different Active Mediums Affect Laser Output?

• Thread starter Grimstone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Medium
In summary, if you pump more power into an argon laser, you will likely be able to produce a higher-frequency beam. However, the intensity of the beam does not seem to matter.
Grimstone
I have no doubt that someone, someone somewhere has tried this.
but if you take a 10 WAT output from a argon beam and run it through a Rubie Active medium chamber I would expect that the light would be excited to a higher range.
Am I in error?

Science news on Phys.org
Why does the intensity of the beam matter?

i presume you are referring to the 10 Wat's. one needs a starting point.

Grimstone said:
I have no doubt that someone, someone somewhere has tried this.
but if you take a 10 WAT output from a argon beam and run it through a Rubie Active medium chamber I would expect that the light would be excited to a higher range.
Am I in error?

Yes, you are in error. (Presuming by higher "range" you mean frequency).

Why would you expect the light to be excited to a higher frequency with increased pump power?

Claude.

Perhaps the OP means to ask if the light would be amplified to a higher power via stimulated emission, as happens inside a laser.

In this case, I would say no, as Ruby is used to amplify red light at 694 nm, whereas argon lasers produce blue or green wavelengths.

Redbelly98 said:
Perhaps the OP means to ask if the light would be amplified to a higher power via stimulated emission, as happens inside a laser.

In this case, I would say no, as Ruby is used to amplify red light at 694 nm, whereas argon lasers produce blue or green wavelengths.

I think you are right. I'm not as smart as you all. I like thinking of this stuff
I prefer stellar physics.
But..I wonder so much about so many things.

So I am going to retry asking my question.

I pump light in go a argon active medium chamber what i get out is 10 WATS of green beam. IF i put said 10 WATS into a red active medium chamber. Will the output of the beam (assume only 1 watt due to the %90 loss) but the beam wave crests would be tighter, yes?
or, would it have no effect at all but to recolor the light to red?

1. What is a laser?

A laser is a device that produces a narrow and intense beam of light through the process of stimulated emission. It typically consists of an active medium (such as a crystal or gas), mirrors, and an energy source (such as electricity or light).

2. What is an active medium in a laser?

An active medium is the material inside a laser that amplifies and emits the light. This can be a solid, liquid, or gas, and it is typically chosen for its ability to produce the desired laser wavelength and characteristics.

3. How does an active medium work in a laser?

The active medium is excited by an energy source, which causes the atoms or molecules in the material to move to a higher energy state. When these particles return to their original state, they emit photons (light particles) in a specific direction. These photons then bounce back and forth between two mirrors, producing more stimulated emission and resulting in a coherent and intense laser beam.

4. What are some examples of active mediums used in lasers?

Some examples of active mediums used in lasers include solid-state materials such as ruby, neodymium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet (Nd:YAG), and titanium-sapphire, as well as gases like helium-neon, carbon dioxide, and argon. Semiconductors, such as gallium arsenide, are also commonly used as active mediums in diode lasers.

5. How is the active medium chosen for a specific laser application?

The choice of active medium depends on the desired properties of the laser, such as wavelength, power, and coherence. Factors such as cost, availability, and ease of use also play a role in the selection process. For example, a gas laser may be chosen for its ability to produce a specific wavelength, while a solid-state laser may be preferred for its high power output.