Calculating Nd-YAG Laser Parameters: Beam Size, Power Density, and Peak Power

In summary, we discussed the task of determining the size of a laser beam at its waist, the largest bundle behind the lens, the length of the zone where the beam is smaller than 0.2mm, and the average and peak power of the laser. We used various formulas and calculations to find the solutions, and I also provided assistance with the last two tasks.
joslaz90
Hey guys!

I am currently working on some tasks to improve and expand my skills,
but I can not go on with the following task

An Nd-YAG laser (D=5mm diameter) is focussed with a lens (f = 200mm).

I: How big is the laser beam at its waist? (Solved)

II: What is the largest bundle behind the lens occurring in the optical axis (beam axis)? (Solved)

III: How long is the zone around the waist in which the beam is smaller than 0.2mm? (Solved)

IV: What is the average power density? (P= 3 Watt)

V: What is the peak power when the laser delivers the 3 watts in the form of 10000 pulses per second, each of which is 20 ns long?

Already identified solutions

To I:
Unbenannt.PNG

(1060nm wavelength)

With
d= 2,44 α x f / D
I get as size for the laser beam at a waist of 1.035x10-4m

((2,44x1.06x10-6m x 2 x 10-1m)/5x10-3m)

To II:
Unbenannt.PNG

tan α = 0,5D - 0,5 d /f

= 2,5 x 10-3m - 0,5 x 1.035 x 10 -4m / 2 x 10 -1m
= 0,01225
tan -1(0,01225)=0,702
α = 0,7°

To III:
Unbenannt.PNG

tan α = 0,2mm / a
a = 0,2mm / tan α
=16,3mm

To IV:
I = P / A =

P = 3 W

I= 3W / 0,5 x 1.035 x 10-4m2Pi

Am I right with these considerations / approaches?

Can you help me with the last two tasks?

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-30_11-30-14.png
    upload_2017-7-30_11-30-14.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 364
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there!

As a fellow scientist, I would be happy to help you with the last two tasks. Here are my solutions:

IV: To calculate the average power density, we need to first calculate the area of the laser beam at its waist. We can use the formula for the area of a circle, A=πr^2, where r is the radius of the beam at its waist. Plugging in the value we calculated for the beam size at its waist (1.035x10^-4m), we get an area of 3.35x10^-8m^2.

Now, we can calculate the average power density using the formula I=P/A, where P is the power (3 watts) and A is the area we just calculated. This gives us an average power density of 8.96x10^7 watts/m^2.

V: To calculate the peak power, we need to first determine the energy of each pulse. We can use the formula E=Pt, where P is power (3 watts) and t is time (20 nanoseconds or 20x10^-9 seconds). This gives us an energy of 6x10^-8 joules per pulse.

Now, we can calculate the peak power using the formula P= E/t, where E is the energy per pulse and t is the time between pulses (1/10000 seconds or 1x10^-4 seconds). This gives us a peak power of 6x10^-4 watts.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on anything. Good luck with your tasks!

1. What is the formula for calculating beam size of an Nd-YAG laser?

The formula for calculating beam size is Beam Size = (4 x Wavelength x Focal Length) / (pi x Beam Divergence Angle).

2. How do I determine the power density of an Nd-YAG laser?

The power density can be determined by dividing the laser power by the beam area. The formula is Power Density = Laser Power / Beam Area.

3. What is the peak power of an Nd-YAG laser?

The peak power is the maximum power output of the laser during a single pulse. It can be calculated by multiplying the average power by the pulse repetition rate.

4. How do I choose the appropriate focal length for my Nd-YAG laser?

The focal length should be chosen based on the desired beam size and the beam divergence angle. A longer focal length will result in a larger beam size and a smaller beam divergence angle, while a shorter focal length will result in a smaller beam size and a larger beam divergence angle.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate parameters for different types of lasers?

The formulas for calculating beam size, power density, and peak power may vary depending on the type of laser being used. It is important to consult the specific laser's manual or do additional research to ensure the correct parameters are being calculated.