Mysterious Laser Beam Dots: What Could It Be?

In summary, the speckles that you see indicate that the laser beam is transmitting the patterns and imperfections of the covering lens. The two types of speckle are easy to differentiate, subjective speckle never loses its focus as the random phase variations are occurring in the eye, whereas objective speckle varies in sharpness depending on how one images it with a lens. The properties of laser speckle are exploited in correlation interferometry.
Lord Loh.
An Intresting thing about laser beams that I noticed is that you always find thousands of small dots in the spot that is formed by a laser beam on the surface? What could it be? Maximas of light beams caused by constructive interferences? I am yet to find out. Please let me know if you have any explanations about it.

You can see the picture at http://betaeta.blogspot.com

Thank You in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I read the rest of your blog, and can answer the power question. Why do you think it's not safe to look at the Sun directly with the naked eye? Think about it. The sun is XXX distance away from the earth, and the rays emitted by the sun have to travel all that distance and undergo all sorts of absorption through the atmosphere before it gets to your eyes. And yet it is still dangerous. Welcome to correction.

Also, I'll take a small jab at your first question, is it just because the laster is made of several independent beams of light? I mean, the laser is not just firing out 1 photon at a time, right? Welcome to correction.

Could it be that the laser light is "transmitting" the patterns and imperfections of the covering lens?

I think the phenomenon you are referring to is called laser speckle, and is caused due to random phase variations in the laser spot.

There are two types of laser speckle, objective speckle and subjective speckle. Objective speckle is caused by phase variations induced by a rough surface (by rough, I mean surface variations greater than [itex] \lambda/4 [/itex]). Subjective speckle is caused by random phase variations in the scattered light in the eye itself (Note I said scattered, never look directly into a laser beam, no matter how weak the beam seems to be).

The two types of speckle are easy to differentiate, subjective speckle never loses its focus as the random phase variations are occurring in the eye, whereas objective speckle varies in sharpness depending on how one images it with a lens.

The properties of laser speckle are exploited in correlation interferometry. I suggest googling this topic for more information on laser speckle.

P.S. The picture you supplied does not show up speckle very well at all (this is something best viewed with the naked eye). In fact the picture looks like a very nice Gaussian HE00 mode. The dark spots around the fringes in this case are probably caused by variations in the CCDs themselves.

Claude.

Claude Bile said:
I think the phenomenon you are referring to is called laser speckle, and is caused due to random phase variations in the laser spot.

There are two types of laser speckle, objective speckle and subjective speckle. Objective speckle is caused by phase variations induced by a rough surface (by rough, I mean surface variations greater than [itex] \lambda/4 [/itex]). Subjective speckle is caused by random phase variations in the scattered light in the eye itself (Note I said scattered, never look directly into a laser beam, no matter how weak the beam seems to be).

So If I take a picture of a spot on a surface, the speckles may show up? I will ty it and post it here. And the speckles seem to move as I move the beam. They do not vhange their relative position.

Last edited:
If you want a really good image, transmit the beam through a piece of frosted glass or perspex and image the spot on a wall. If the spot size is small, you will have trouble seeing the (objective) speckle, so try to make the spot as big as possible.

The spots that 'follow you around' is the subjective speckle. Notice how they never lose focus, even if you wear glasses (or take them off depending how good your eyesight is!). The subjective speckle will not show up on any image you take however.

Claude.

1. What are mysterious laser beam dots?

Mysterious laser beam dots refer to small, bright and concentrated points of light that appear in the sky or on surfaces without any apparent source or explanation. They are often described as being similar to laser pointers, but much larger and more powerful.

2. What could be causing these mysterious laser beam dots?

There are a few potential explanations for these mysterious laser beam dots. They could be caused by natural phenomena such as reflections of sunlight off of ice crystals or atmospheric disturbances. They could also be artificial sources, such as laser light shows or military exercises. In some cases, they may also be the result of a prank or hoax.

3. Are these mysterious laser beam dots dangerous?

In most cases, these laser beam dots are not dangerous. They are typically harmless and do not pose any threat to people or property. However, if they are caused by artificial sources, such as high-powered lasers, they could potentially be harmful to the eyes if viewed directly. It is always best to avoid looking directly at these mysterious laser beam dots, just to be safe.

4. Can they be explained by science?

Yes, many of these mysterious laser beam dots can be explained by science. As mentioned earlier, natural phenomena and artificial sources can both cause these dots to appear. However, there are also cases where the cause may remain unknown or unexplained, leaving room for speculation and mystery.

5. What should I do if I see a mysterious laser beam dot?

If you see a mysterious laser beam dot, the first thing to do is to remain calm and observe it from a safe distance. If it appears to be moving or behaving erratically, it is best to avoid looking directly at it. You can also try to take photos or videos of the dot for further analysis. If you are concerned about the dot, you can report it to local authorities or scientific organizations for investigation.