1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser beam intensity

1. Dec 3, 2015 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums -- poster has been reminded of the PF rules
    What is the intensity in W/m² of a laser beam used to burn away cancerous tissue that, when 94.0% absorbed, puts 539 J of energy into a circular spot 2.11 mm in diameter in 4.00 s??

I've tried a couple different equations and I keep getting the answer wrong. This is due tonight, I'm super stuck. Any input is greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2015 #2

Ken G

Gold Member

First imagine the beam is 100% absorbed, find that answer, and multiply that answer by 1/.94 to get the answer for 94% absorbed. To get the 100% absorbed answer, just take that energy, per that area, per that time. You will have to convert mm to m though, and you will need to know the area of a circle.

4. Dec 3, 2015 #3
    Thank you for your help Ken G! I will try this out right now

5. Dec 3, 2015 #4
    Yay I got the correct answer, thank you! Would you happen to know how this one below is solved? I did my answer - 1360 W/m^2, and got a number, but I'm not sure if that's correct:

How many times more intense is this than the maximum intensity of direct sunlight (about 1360 W/m²)?

6. Dec 4, 2015 #5

Ken G

Gold Member

A quick estimate says its about 10,000 times more for the laser. Is that about what you got?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted