Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser beam propagation

1. Feb 8, 2016 #1
    Hi all,

I am interested in finding the power of a laser diode as function of the distance z, assuming a free space propagation. I think to have enough information to work it out but I am stacked at the moment.
    Given:
    • the initial power, P0 = 1mW
    • beam width clip (e-2 = 13.5%), wx = 3μm, wy = 1μm
    • wavelength, λ = 650nm
    • divergence beam width (full angular), θ = 1mrad
    • M2 = 5
    What would be the power P(z) and the radius w(z) of the beam at a distance z?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The power is constant everywhere. There is no way the power will change unless the energy inside the laser changes, e.g. due to battery depletion.

4. Feb 8, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your prompt reply. About the radius of the beam, how large would be the laser spot after, let's say, 1m or 50m?

5. Feb 8, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The information about the angular divergence which you already have there should be sufficient to determine the width at a given distance, assuming this distance is far enough from the beam waist.

6. Feb 8, 2016 #5
    I have used the following equation (2.8) to simulate the width at a given distance, using the beam width clip as w0. How do I include the angular divergence in the simulation of w(z)?
    Thanks
    Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 16.23.43.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 16.23.55.png

Source: Sun, Haiyin. Laser diode beam basics, manipulations and characterizations. Springer Science & Business Media, 2012.

7. Feb 8, 2016 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't the beam divergence given already in equation (2.11)? You can plug in this into equation (2.8).

8. Feb 9, 2016 #7
    I thought that the 2.11 is valid only far away from the beam waist. After which value do you think it's "sensible" to use the far field approximation?
    I have plotted the beam radii propagation for the X and Y axis and after a distance of about 4 meter the two curves are overlapping each other, i.e. same radius in the plane and the spot is not elliptical anymore. Is that an expected result for such a laser diode?

9. Feb 9, 2016 #8

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##\theta## is indeed derived by taking the limit of ##\frac{d w(z)}{dz}## for ##z\rightarrow \infty##, but it turns out that ##\theta## has such a form given in (2.11). Therefore you can regard this equation as an identity and you use it to replace any factor containing the RHS of (2.11) with ##\theta##.
    Well at least for a perfect Gaussian beam, the smaller beamwaist you have, the bigger the angular divergence is. So, the behavior of the beam you observed makes quite some sense.

10. Feb 23, 2016 #9
    I had to refresh my memory about this topic, now it makes sense.

Thanks a lot for your replies :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook