Calculate Laser Burning Power Through Steel - Aragorn49

In summary, the person is seeking guidance on how to calculate whether a laser can burn through a material, specifically steel. They believe that factors such as power, wavelength, thermal properties, and optical properties will be important. However, they are unsure of which specific optical properties are relevant. They have gathered data on thermal properties of steel and other materials, as well as power and wavelength of the laser. Another person responds with their experience, stating that a 2W laser can only burn through black paper and thin plastic. They mention that lasers used to cut metal are in the order of kilowatts, and that smaller diodes are not very effective. The person seeking help thanks them and hopes for a scientific answer.
Aragorn49

Homework Statement

I would like to learn how to calculate whether a laser can burn through a material, or not. For example right now I need to calculate whether a laser from a DVD burner (which supposedly is max. 400 mW strong) can burn through steel.

Homework Equations

I can imagine that I need to know the power of the laser in mW, the wavelength of the light it is emitting, the melting and boiling temperature and thermal conductivity of the material it is shining on. Also, I guess some optical properties will be important but I don't know which.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I gathered data on thermal properties of steel and other materials and power and wavelength of the laser.

Thank you very much for your help
Aragorn49

Physics news on Phys.org
No way 400mW can burn steel lol!
All I can give you is experience. I had a 2W 445nm blue laser pointer focused into a 2*2mm dot. It could only burn black paper and black very thin plastic never achieving ignition.
Laser's to cut metal are in the order of kilowatts, I remember seeing a CO2 laser with 50W that was used just to engrave corks for wine.
With small diodes you can't do much, and even these cost around 100USD.

There are allot of variables, but I hope someone can give you a scientific answer.

Thank you very much for your help.

1. How do you calculate the laser burning power through steel?

The laser burning power through steel can be calculated by using the formula P = K × (v × I) × (1 - R), where P is the power, K is the absorption coefficient of the steel, v is the traverse speed, I is the laser intensity, and R is the reflectivity of the steel.

2. What factors affect the laser burning power through steel?

The laser burning power through steel is affected by various factors such as the absorption coefficient of the steel, the traverse speed, the laser intensity, and the reflectivity of the steel. Other factors that can influence the burning power include the type of laser used, the thickness and composition of the steel, and the ambient temperature.

3. Can you use a standard laser to burn through steel?

While a standard laser may have enough power to burn through thin sheets of steel, it may not be able to penetrate thicker or higher grade steel. Specialized lasers with higher power and intensity are often used for cutting or welding steel.

4. How do you determine the absorption coefficient of steel?

The absorption coefficient of steel can be determined through experimentation or by consulting a reference table. It may vary depending on the type of steel and its composition, so it is important to use the correct value for accurate calculations.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using lasers to burn through steel?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using lasers for cutting or welding steel. Protective eyewear should always be worn to prevent eye damage from the intense light. Proper ventilation and fire safety measures should also be in place to prevent the buildup of noxious fumes and potential fire hazards. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and use the laser in a controlled environment to avoid accidents or injuries.