Class II Green Laser for Prototype Design - Angular Spread: 30 Degrees

In summary, Glenn is working on a prototype design that requires a Class II, Green, line-generating laser with an angular spread of 30-45 degrees on one plane. Warren suggests using a galvo mirror to scan the beam for a projected line. Glenn asks about the possibility of using laser line generating lenses, but Integral explains that a lens would create an image rather than maintaining the integrity of the laser beam. Glenn clarifies that he needs to illuminate a planar section of smoke from a fog machine, and Njorl suggests using a green laser diode pointer or a cylindrical lens. Glenn plans to experiment with a cylindrical lens and Njorl recommends using a glass rod as a cylindrical lens. They also mention the possibility of
Glenn
Hi,
I am working on a prototype design. For it I will need a laser with the following specs...

Class II, Green, line-generating laser, with an angular spread of approximately 30 degrees.

Where can I get such a laser?

Thanks,
Glenn

Engineering news on Phys.org
You want a dispersion of 30 degrees? That's not a laser, that's a green flashlight.

- Warren

30-45 degrees would be fine for this purpose. NOTE - I am not talking about a conical dispersion. It should only spread out on one plane only which would result in a projected line.

-Glenn

You will not find a laser that does that. To get a line you will need to scan the beam. this is generally done with what is called a galvo mirror. (it uses a galvometer mechanism to oscillate the mirror)

Integral,
Here is a site I just found that advertises laser line generating lenses. Are these likely to be the same as the galvo mirror you were talking about?

Thanks,
Glenn

No, a lens would essentillay be forming an image in the shape of a line, While a scanning mirror maintains the integrity of the laser beam, it just moves it. This what grocery store barcode scanners do.

What are you trying to do?

Integral,
I need to illuminate smoke from a fog machine. Except rather than illuminating a large section of it, I need to illuminate a planar section, hence the need for the line generating feature.

-Glenn

Diode lasers emit elliptical spots. Some have such a large ellipticity that they appear to be line-emitting. A green, diode laser would be Gan-AlGaN or GaN-InGaN. You could also use cylindrical lenses to form such an ellipse if all you can find are circular-spot lasers.

Problem is I can't recall if those are comercially available yet.

Njorl

Well, I just saw ads for a green laser diode pointer, so I guess they are comercially available.

https://secure9.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=jmm6360&BusType=BtoC&Count1=385509669&Count2=302650094&Target=products%2Easp&CategoryID=14

Njorl

Last edited by a moderator:
Njorl,

I have a green laser pointer that I use for astronomy purposes. Someone tole me that if I send the laser beam RADIALLY through a clear glass or acrylic rod, I should be able to generate a line on the target. So I am searching going to get some acrylic rod to experiment with.

Thanks,
Glenn

As Njoral said, a cylindrical lens should work. A glass rod is essentially a cylindrical lens. I think it would work best, though, to have a half-cylinder with the beam shining directly into the flat surface. Also, you want the radius of the cylinder to be close to (but greater than) the beam radius.

how can a rodlens generate a fan pattern/line when a laser beam hits it?

Commercial device. Google "laser light show". You can rent or buy.
Usually rotating polygon mirrors or a galvo mirror as Integral says are used.
Example site not a recomendation http://www.taiserver.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Class II Green Laser?

A Class II Green Laser is a type of laser that meets specific safety requirements and is considered safe for use in prototype design. It emits green light with a wavelength of approximately 532 nanometers and has a maximum output power of 1 milliwatt.

2. What is the purpose of a Class II Green Laser in prototype design?

The Class II Green Laser is used in prototype design to help with aligning and positioning components, as well as testing the functionality of the design. Its narrow beam and low power make it suitable for precise measurements and alignment.

3. What is the Angular Spread of the Class II Green Laser?

The Angular Spread of the Class II Green Laser refers to the angle at which the laser beam spreads out from the source. In this case, the Angular Spread is 30 degrees, meaning the beam will spread out at a 30-degree angle from the laser's center.

4. Is the Class II Green Laser safe to use?

Yes, the Class II Green Laser is considered safe for use in prototype design as long as it meets specific safety requirements. It is important to follow all safety protocols and guidelines when using the laser to avoid any potential hazards.

5. Can the Angular Spread of the Class II Green Laser be adjusted?

No, the Angular Spread of the Class II Green Laser is fixed at 30 degrees and cannot be adjusted. However, it is important to note that the beam may appear wider or narrower depending on the distance from the laser source.