Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser component needed

1. Jun 23, 2004 #1
    Hi,
    I am working on a prototype design. For it I will need a laser with the following specs...

Class II, Green, line-generating laser, with an angular spread of approximately 30 degrees.

Where can I get such a laser?

Thanks,
    Glenn

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You want a dispersion of 30 degrees? That's not a laser, that's a green flashlight.

- Warren

4. Jun 24, 2004 #3
    30-45 degrees would be fine for this purpose. NOTE - I am not talking about a conical dispersion. It should only spread out on one plane only which would result in a projected line.

-Glenn

5. Jun 25, 2004 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You will not find a laser that does that. To get a line you will need to scan the beam. this is generally done with what is called a galvo mirror. (it uses a galvometer mechanism to oscillate the mirror)

6. Jun 28, 2004 #5
    Integral,
    Here is a site I just found that advertises laser line generating lenses. Are these likely to be the same as the galvo mirror you were talking about?

Thanks,
    Glenn

7. Jun 28, 2004 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, a lens would essentillay be forming an image in the shape of a line, While a scanning mirror maintains the integrity of the laser beam, it just moves it. This what grocery store barcode scanners do.

What are you trying to do?

8. Jun 29, 2004 #7
    Integral,
    I need to illuminate smoke from a fog machine. Except rather than illuminating a large section of it, I need to illuminate a planar section, hence the need for the line generating feature.

-Glenn

9. Jun 29, 2004 #8

Njorl

Science Advisor

Diode lasers emit elliptical spots. Some have such a large ellipticity that they appear to be line-emitting. A green, diode laser would be Gan-AlGaN or GaN-InGaN. You could also use cylindrical lenses to form such an ellipse if all you can find are circular-spot lasers.

Problem is I can't recall if those are comercially available yet.

Njorl

10. Jun 29, 2004 #9

Njorl

Science Advisor

11. Jul 2, 2004 #10
    Njorl,

I have a green laser pointer that I use for astronomy purposes. Someone tole me that if I send the laser beam RADIALLY through a clear glass or acrylic rod, I should be able to generate a line on the target. So I am searching going to get some acrylic rod to experiment with.

Thanks,
    Glenn

12. Jul 5, 2004 #11

turin

Homework Helper

As Njoral said, a cylindrical lens should work. A glass rod is essentially a cylindrical lens. I think it would work best, though, to have a half-cylinder with the beam shining directly into the flat surface. Also, you want the radius of the cylinder to be close to (but greater than) the beam radius.

13. Oct 11, 2004 #12
    how can a rodlens generate a fan pattern/line when a laser beam hits it???

14. Oct 11, 2004 #13

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Commercial device. Google "laser light show". You can rent or buy.
    Usually rotating polygon mirrors or a galvo mirror as Integral says are used.
    Example site not a recomendation http://www.taiserver.com/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?