Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser cutter

1. Jul 25, 2010 #1
    How to make a DIY laser cutter(small size) ? Can you help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, first you need a laser, and you need to know how to operate it safely. What laser do you plan on using? What material do you want to cut?

4. Jul 27, 2010 #3
    i want to create a laser cutter small as laser pointer!!! I want to cut plastic, iron and so hard material!!!

5. Jul 27, 2010 #4
    This can be done quite simply with a laser diode (LD).

For instance, extracting an LD from an old CD-RW, DVD-RW or Blu-Ray drive and building a driver circuit could give you a laser with a power output around 200mW (the average laser point is < 5mW). If this is focussed it could burn through paper, electrical tape, pop balloons etc.

However, you MUST have eye-protection on for this. Any laser above 5mW is class 3 and can permanently damage your eyes. Whilst shining the beam at an object seems safe, it can reflect off shiny surfaces...

6. Jul 27, 2010 #5

berkeman

A laser pointer will generally put out 1mW or so of radiant energy. How much optical power do you think it would take to cut even a soft material? You can estimate that number by remembering that you can use a 10cm magnifying glass in bright sunlight to melt soft materials....

7. Jul 27, 2010 #6
    A key-chain laser pointer that can cut through iron? Would you like a spaceship to go with that, or would that be all, sir?

8. Jul 28, 2010 #7
    Is I use almost 500mW d.c. and use tow convex lens has focal length of 5cm and the distance between them is less than 1cm, and add a cooling system by using liquid!!! Can the laser cutter form?

9. Jul 28, 2010 #8

berkeman

You have a 1/2 Watt laswer diode? Where did you get it?

10. Jul 29, 2010 #9
    Is 0.5W laser diode hard to find? If I have, can the plan that I post previous one work?

11. Jul 29, 2010 #10
    Well, 500mW is very powerful. Just make sure you use goggles....

And the rough plan sounds ok - essentially you need a driving circuit (inc. cooling) and some way of mounting it with a lens to focus the energy. I don't know what exactly are the 'cutting limits' with this but you'll certainly burn through paper and thin materials (even at a distance).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook