Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser effect

1. Dec 19, 2014 #1
    Hello,

Can we make a laser with any type of radiance (IR,UV,visible,microwave,..) ? If we consider a three level system for example.
    In such a system, how can we avoid absorption from level 1 to level 2 ? Is it by choosing atoms/molecules in which the level 2 is greater than the fundamental ?

Thank you !

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I'm not an experimentalist, but from what I know the available range of laser frequencies is quite high in the optical region. Not sure about the microwave regime, though.

As for the three level system, how are the three levels arranged? There are some cases where you can get electromagnetically induced transparency (EIT) or other quantum phenomena where transitions to a given level will be suppressed. Look up also STIRAP.

4. Dec 20, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the answer.
    The three level I consider are like in this video at 0:50 .
    I guess that we can make a laser with any type of radiance (LASER with microwaves exists = MASER) I don't know if anyone has an opinion about that, is there any limitations about the incident light to produce a population inversion ?

5. Dec 20, 2014 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Dec 24, 2014 #5
    No other opinion about that ?

7. Dec 25, 2014 #6

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

What I meant is that I don't know what is the current state of the art for masers, in particular concerning available range and tunability. In the optical region, basically any frequency is available, although not always with a high power.

I'm not sure I understand what your question is. Could you rephrase it?

8. Dec 25, 2014 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah Okay. Should have know you knew the history. :redface:

9. Dec 28, 2014 #8
    @DrClaude
    I mean if we can operate a population inversion (condition to make a laser) with visible light, IR, Micro wave, RX,... ? Or does limitations exists ?
    If we observe a population inversion with a MASER (MW), the population inversion will be between 2 levels with a small difference of energy, but can we apply this reasoning with other frequency of light ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook