Creating a Laser with Different Types of Radiance

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is possible to create a laser with different types of radiance and how to avoid absorption in a three level system. The participants also mention the history of masers and the availability of different frequencies for lasers. They also consider the possibility of creating a population inversion with different frequencies of light.
hiltac
Hello,

Can we make a laser with any type of radiance (IR,UV,visible,microwave,..) ? If we consider a three level system for example.
In such a system, how can we avoid absorption from level 1 to level 2 ? Is it by choosing atoms/molecules in which the level 2 is greater than the fundamental ?

Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
hiltac said:
Hello,

Can we make a laser with any type of radiance (IR,UV,visible,microwave,..) ? If we consider a three level system for example.
In such a system, how can we avoid absorption from level 1 to level 2 ? Is it by choosing atoms/molecules in which the level 2 is greater than the fundamental ?

Thank you !
I'm not an experimentalist, but from what I know the available range of laser frequencies is quite high in the optical region. Not sure about the microwave regime, though.

As for the three level system, how are the three levels arranged? There are some cases where you can get electromagnetically induced transparency (EIT) or other quantum phenomena where transitions to a given level will be suppressed. Look up also STIRAP.

Thanks for the answer.
The three level I consider are like in this video at 0:50 .
I guess that we can make a laser with any type of radiance (LASER with microwaves exists = MASER) I don't know if anyone has an opinion about that, is there any limitations about the incident light to produce a population inversion ?

DrClaude said:
Not sure about the microwave regime, though.
Actually, the Maser ("microwave amplification by stimulated emission of radiation") was the predecessor to the Laser.

In 1953, Charles Hard Townes and graduate students James P. Gordon and Herbert J. Zeiger produced the first microwave amplifier, a device operating on similar principles to the laser, but amplifying microwave radiation rather than infrared or visible radiation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser#History

No other opinion about that ?

dlgoff said:
Actually, the Maser ("microwave amplification by stimulated emission of radiation") was the predecessor to the
What I meant is that I don't know what is the current state of the art for masers, in particular concerning available range and tunability. In the optical region, basically any frequency is available, although not always with a high power.

hiltac said:
I don't know if anyone has an opinion about that, is there any limitations about the incident light to produce a population inversion ?
I'm not sure I understand what your question is. Could you rephrase it?

DrClaude said:
What I meant is that I don't know what is the current state of the art for masers, in particular concerning available range and tunability. In the optical region, basically any frequency is available, although not always with a high power.
Ah Okay. Should have know you knew the history. :redface:

@DrClaude
I mean if we can operate a population inversion (condition to make a laser) with visible light, IR, Micro wave, RX,... ? Or does limitations exists ?
If we observe a population inversion with a MASER (MW), the population inversion will be between 2 levels with a small difference of energy, but can we apply this reasoning with other frequency of light ?

1. How does a laser produce different types of radiance?

A laser produces different types of radiance by controlling the properties of the laser beam, such as its intensity, polarization, and wavelength. This can be achieved by using different types of lasers or by manipulating the laser beam using optical elements.

2. What are the different types of radiance that can be produced by a laser?

There are three main types of radiance that can be produced by a laser: continuous wave (CW), pulsed, and continuous-wave with an ultrafast pulse. CW lasers emit a continuous stream of light, while pulsed lasers emit light in short bursts. Ultrafast pulse lasers emit extremely short pulses of light, typically in the femtosecond or picosecond range.

3. How are lasers with different types of radiance used in scientific research?

Lasers with different types of radiance are used in a wide range of scientific research applications. CW lasers are commonly used in spectroscopy and microscopy, while pulsed lasers are used in fields such as laser ablation, laser machining, and laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy. Ultrafast pulse lasers are used in studies of ultrafast phenomena, such as chemical reactions and electron dynamics.

4. Can lasers with different types of radiance be used in medical treatments?

Yes, lasers with different types of radiance are commonly used in medical treatments. For example, pulsed lasers are used in laser surgery and laser therapy for their precise control and ability to target specific tissues. Ultrafast pulse lasers are also being explored for medical applications, such as in laser eye surgery and cancer treatment.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with lasers with different types of radiance?

Yes, there are safety concerns when working with lasers, regardless of their radiance type. Laser beams can cause permanent eye damage and skin burns, so it is important to use proper safety measures and equipment when working with lasers. Additionally, some lasers emit radiation in the ultraviolet or infrared range, which can be harmful to both humans and materials, so it is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when using lasers.