Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser epidermal permeation

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1
    I heard that there was a wavelength of "light" that partially permeates through the human bodies skin and can degenerate the nerve endings before the skin succomes to the harmful effects of the "light". This sounds like complete bs to me since the interaction wavelengths of different tissues wouldn't be that varied (it has been a while since I have had biology). To the point; can anyone verify this, or strike it down as nonsense.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I haven't heard of anything like that, but I suppose that it would depend upon the absorbtion spectrum of the tissues involved.

4. Dec 6, 2006 #3

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Laser treatments are used to destroy excess blood vessels on the skin by using a wavelength that is strongly absorbed by the blood vessel tissue, but weakly absorbed by skin tissue. Tattoo removal is done in much the same way.

While I have not heard of lasers being used to destroy nerve endings in this fashion, I would certainly say it is very possible, it is just a matter of finding the right wavelength and the right irradiance with which to use.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?