Laser intensity vs materials

• Thread starter m0022l
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

There are materials which block laser beams (or light globally) or weaken its intensity via shading i.e. a beam must have crossed a specific energy barrier in order to pass this shading where beams with less energy will fade and won't pass. The question is, is there a material or a type of shading which does the opposite? Meaning that it blocks beams with intensities higher than a specific barrier and allows those with less intensities (behaving like a low pass filter somehow), does this type of material exist?!

Answers and Replies

i.e. a beam must have crossed a specific energy barrier in order to pass this shading where beams with less energy will fade and won't pass.
Are you thinking about nonlinear effects like saturation here?

I see an obvious issue for the opposite effect: If you weaken your high-intensity beam with some nonlinear effect, it becomes a low-intensity beam after a while (as no interaction will be point-like) and could pass.
Multi-photon processes depend on the beam intensity, but a beam with a higher intensity will keep a higher intensity, even if it is weakened more than a low-intensity beam.

Is this a question about scifi shields? You can see though it, but it blocks laser?