Using Lasers in Kid's Toys: Is it Safe?

• Thread starter hedons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lasers
In summary, the conversation is about using a laser diode in a kids toy design. The question is whether there is a laser diode with low enough power to be safely used, or if all laser light is potentially harmful to the retina. The suggestion is to try a class II laser with less than 1 mW output power. There is a discussion about using an LED as the light source instead, but it is determined that a laser is needed to reflect a narrow beam off several surfaces. The purpose of the laser in the toy is to create a series of reflected visible beams as it passes through a suspended medium.
hedons
Hi,
I am a ME working on a toy design. I know next to nothing about lasers diodes.

Is there a laser diode of low enough power that it could be safely incorporated into a kids toy? (visible "dot" required. Or is all laser light potentially harmful to the retina?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Try a class II laser, < 1 mW output power.

http://electron9.phys.utk.edu/optics507/Laboratories/Laser%20Safety.htm

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a laser diode of low enough power that it could be safely incorporated into a kids toy?
Does it have to be a laser? Could you just use a LED as the light source?

Originally posted by dlgoff
Does it have to be a laser? Could you just use a LED as the light source?

Hi Don,
I think it would have to be a laser as I need to reflect a narrow beam off several surfaces.

...I need to reflect a narrow beam off several surfaces.
Are you using it as "machine vision"? e.g. using it to locate where the toy is?

Originally posted by dlgoff
Are you using it as "machine vision"? e.g. using it to locate where the toy is?

Hi Don,
Without giving too much away...
I am using it to create a series of reflected visible beams as it passes through a suspended medium.

Thanks!

Originally posted by hedons
Hi Don,
Without giving too much away...
I am using it to create a series of reflected visible beams as it passes through a suspended medium.

Thanks!

Just curious. Does it have to be visible light or could it be infered?

Regards

It must be visible for the effect I am looking for.

1. Is it safe for children to play with toys that use lasers?

Yes, as long as the lasers are low-powered and meet safety regulations set by the FDA. These regulations ensure that the lasers are not harmful to human eyes or skin.

2. How do I know if a laser toy is safe for my child?

Look for the FDA certification label on the toy packaging, which indicates that the laser has been tested and meets safety standards. Also, check the recommended age range for the toy to ensure it is appropriate for your child.

3. Are there any potential risks associated with laser toys?

There is a potential risk of eye injury if a child stares directly into a high-powered laser beam. However, low-powered lasers used in toys are not strong enough to cause permanent eye damage. It is important for parents to supervise their children while playing with laser toys and teach them to not aim lasers at people's faces or eyes.

4. Can laser toys cause fires?

Yes, laser beams can ignite flammable materials if they are powerful enough and focused onto a single point for a prolonged period of time. However, the low-powered lasers used in toys are not strong enough to cause fires.

5. Are there any benefits to using lasers in toys?

Lasers can enhance a child's play experience by adding an element of excitement and interactivity. They can also be used in educational toys to teach children about light, color, and other scientific concepts. However, it is important to ensure that these toys are used safely and responsibly.