Where to Buy Laser Range Finders Under $200 with 1-200m Range

In summary, a laser range finder is a device that can be used to measure distances up to 200m with high accuracy. They are usually a bit more expensive than a 2D range finder, but are useful for a variety of purposes.
cAm
(sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

Does anyone know where a good laser range finder can be purchased, for a relatively small amount of money. It needs to have a range of 1m to 200m (preferably more), with high accuracy (couple centimeters). I've been looking for a while, and so far, I've been unsuccessful. (A 2D range finder would be nicer even though, but i haven't found Any of those).

Or, if no one knows where one of these could be bought, perhaps some advice on Building one? Is it possibly/plausible? I'm relatively new to optics, but i'll learn what i have to.

(Btw, this needs to be an eye-safe laser) :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google is your friend. :smile:

Leica and Nikon both make laser rangefinders, I found a few just by browsing their website. http://www.leica-geosystems.com/corporate/en/products/laser_distancemeter/lgs_5061.htm is just one example...

?? These things are laser 'tape measures' sold at larger hardware outlets for about $AUD 40 to 80.
Remember.. Dont stare into the laser beam with your remaining eye... (There isn't really an 'eye safe' laser!)

RandomRemember.. said:
Dont stare into the laser beam with your remaining eye... (There isn't really an 'eye safe' laser!)

A properly classified laser, properly used, presents no risk to eyesight.

Last edited:
cAm said:
Does anyone know where a good laser range finder can be purchased, for a relatively small amount of money. It needs to have a range of 1m to 200m (preferably more), with high accuracy (couple centimeters).
"relatively small amount of money" and "high accuracy" are mutually exclusive. What exactly are you going to use this for?

russ_watters said:
"relatively small amount of money" and "high accuracy" are mutually exclusive. What exactly are you going to use this for?

haha yah, i love when people say that. I want a cheap particle accelerator please! Actually i need a laser range finder for my golf game. I am pretty good at finding out which fairway my ball ends up on... but i have no real sense of distance :rofl:

heh, been away from the comp for a while, thanks for the replies.

the reason for the low budget is that unless i can get a grant from somewhere, my high school physics dept. would have to foot the bill.

I need this for a project in which we have a robot draw for us a 3d image of wherever it is, and have the robot make descisions based on certain factors. Though, we've seen this has already been done, so we're extending it a bit further into something else ;)

We've already accomplished this with an extremely inaccurate SONAR module, so we know it works, we just don't have the money to get what we want right now :-p

1. Where can I find laser range finders under $200 with a range of 1-200m?

There are many online retailers that offer laser range finders under $200 with a range of 1-200m. Some popular options include Amazon, Walmart, and Best Buy. You can also check the websites of specific brands that specialize in laser range finders, such as Bushnell or Nikon.

2. Are there any physical stores that sell laser range finders under $200 with a range of 1-200m?

Yes, some physical stores also carry laser range finders under $200 with a range of 1-200m. Some examples include sporting goods stores like Dick's Sporting Goods or REI, as well as specialty outdoor stores.

3. Can I trust the quality of laser range finders under $200 with a range of 1-200m?

While price can sometimes be an indicator of quality, there are many reliable and high-quality laser range finders available under $200 with a range of 1-200m. It is important to read reviews and do research on the specific brand and model before making a purchase to ensure it meets your needs and expectations.

4. Are there any specific features I should look for in a laser range finder under $200 with a range of 1-200m?

The most important feature to consider is the accuracy of the range finder. Look for one that has a high measurement accuracy, typically measured in yards or meters. Other features to consider may include magnification, waterproofing, and battery life.

5. Can I use a laser range finder under $200 with a range of 1-200m for hunting or golfing?

Yes, many laser range finders under $200 with a range of 1-200m are designed specifically for hunting or golfing. However, it is important to check the specifications and features of the specific model to ensure it is suitable for your intended use. Some range finders may have additional features specifically for hunting or golfing, such as slope compensation or pin-seeking technology.