1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser Range Finders

1. Jul 5, 2005 #1

cAm

(sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

Does anyone know where a good laser range finder can be purchased, for a relatively small amount of money. It needs to have a range of 1m to 200m (preferably more), with high accuracy (couple centimeters). I've been looking for a while, and so far, i've been unsuccessful. (A 2D range finder would be nicer even though, but i haven't found Any of those).

Or, if no one knows where one of these could be bought, perhaps some advice on Building one? Is it possibly/plausible? I'm relatively new to optics, but i'll learn what i have to.

(Btw, this needs to be an eye-safe laser) :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jul 10, 2005 #3
    ?? These things are laser 'tape measures' sold at larger hardware outlets for about $AUD 40 to 80.
    Remember.. Dont stare into the laser beam with your remaining eye... (There isnt really an 'eye safe' laser!)

5. Jul 10, 2005 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A properly classified laser, properly used, presents no risk to eyesight.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  6. Jul 10, 2005 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

"relatively small amount of money" and "high accuracy" are mutually exclusive. What exactly are you going to use this for?

7. Jul 10, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

haha yah, i love when people say that. I want a cheap particle accelerator please! Actually i need a laser range finder for my golf game. Im pretty good at finding out which fairway my ball ends up on... but i have no real sense of distance :rofl:

8. Jul 12, 2005 #7

cAm

heh, been away from the comp for a while, thanks for the replies.

the reason for the low budget is that unless i can get a grant from somewhere, my high school physics dept. would have to foot the bill.

I need this for a project in which we have a robot draw for us a 3d image of whereever it is, and have the robot make descisions based on certain factors. Though, we've seen this has already been done, so we're extending it a bit further into something else ;)

We've already accomplished this with an extremely inaccurate SONAR module, so we know it works, we just don't have the money to get what we want right now :-p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?