Laser Rate Equations Simulation

In summary, the conversation discusses the simulation of rate equations with a sinusoidal signal. The equations involve the number of photons generated, the number of electrons (carriers), group velocity, electron relaxation time, photon lifetime, differential gain, nonliner gain suppression, and current. The solution uses the odesolver to evaluate the equations and should result in a sinusoidal output for the t vs I plot and "impulses" on the t vs S plot. However, the current code only produces a constant line and the cause of this issue is uncertain.
shallowbay

Homework Statement

Simulate the Rate Equations with Sinusoidal Signal

S: # of Photons Generated N: # of Electrons (Carriers)
Vg: Group Velocity =7.5e9 [tex]\tau[/tex]e: Electron relaxation time = 1e-9
[tex]\tau[/tex]p: Photon Lifetime = 1.7e-12 N0: 3.3e18
a: Differential Gain = 1e-15 [tex]\epsilon[/tex]: nonliner gain suppression = 7.5e-17
I0 = 10e-3

Homework Equations

dS/dt = (Vg*G - 1/[tex]\tau[/tex]p)*S - 1/[tex]\tau[/tex]e

dN/dt = I/q - N/[tex]\tau[/tex]e - Vg*G*S

G = a(N-N0)/(1- [tex]\epsilon[/tex]*S)

The Attempt at a Solution

function dydt = laserrate(t,y)

dydt = zeros(size(y));

q = 1.6e-19; % charge of electron
tau_e = 1e-9; % electron relaxation time
No = 3.3e18; % # of electrons at transparency
a = 1e-15; % Linear gain coefficient
Vg = 7.5e9; % group velocity
tau_p = 1.7e-12; % photon lifetime
beta = 1e-5; % spontateous emission coefficient
eps = 7.5e-17; % Nonlinear gain suppression coefficient

w = 2*pi*10e5;
Io = 10e-3;
I = Io*sin(w*t);

tp = 1/tau_p;
te = 1/tau_e;

N = y(1);
S = y(2);
G = (a* (N-No)/(1-eps*S));

dydt(1) = (Vg*G-tp)*S - te; %dS/dt
dydt(2) = I./q - N*te - Vg*G*S; %dN/dt

When I use the odesolver to evaluate this function, I know that I should get a sinusoidal output for the t vs I plot, and "impulses" on the t vs S plot corresponding to the peak of sinusoid, however I only get a constant line using my code.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if my rate equations are wrong or if my odesolver is wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. What is a laser rate equation simulation?

A laser rate equation simulation is a computer model that uses mathematical equations to simulate the behavior of a laser over time. It takes into account factors such as the energy levels of the laser's atoms, the pumping rate, and the spontaneous emission rate to predict the output of the laser.

2. Why is laser rate equation simulation important?

Laser rate equation simulation is important because it allows scientists to study and understand the behavior of lasers without having to physically build and test them. This can save time and resources, and also allows for the exploration of different scenarios and parameters that may not be feasible in a physical experiment.

3. What type of information can be obtained from a laser rate equation simulation?

A laser rate equation simulation can provide information such as the output power of the laser, the population inversion of the atoms, and the threshold for lasing to occur. It can also show how changes in parameters, such as the pumping rate or cavity length, affect the performance of the laser.

4. How accurate are laser rate equation simulations?

The accuracy of laser rate equation simulations depends on the complexity of the model and the accuracy of the input parameters. In general, they can provide a good approximation of the behavior of a laser, but may not account for all factors that can affect its performance. Physical experiments are still necessary to validate the results of a simulation.

5. What are some applications of laser rate equation simulations?

Laser rate equation simulations have a wide range of applications, including the design and optimization of laser systems for various purposes such as communication, manufacturing, and medical treatments. They are also used in research to study the fundamental principles of laser operation and to explore new concepts for future laser technologies.