1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser saturation and gain

1. Apr 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Why does input intensity affect gain?
    (b) Derive the expression
    (c) Find saturation intensity in terms of input intensity
    2014_B3_Q4.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Part(a)
    Consider a narrow band radiation as an input, where its bandwidth is much smaller than the spectral with of transitions, so in general
    [tex]\frac{dN_2}{dt} = S_2 - (N_2B_{21}-N_1B_{12}) \int g_H(\omega - \omega_0) \rho(\omega) d\omega + \cdots[/tex]
    [tex] = S_2 - N^{*} \int B_{21} g_H(\omega - \omega_0)\rho(\omega) d\omega + \cdots[/tex]
    [tex] = S_2 - N^{*}\sigma_{21}(\omega_L - \omega_0) \frac{I}{\hbar \omega_L}[/tex]

Thus, we see that rates depend on input intensity ##I_T##, which influences the gain on a laser amplifier when we solve for the steady state solutions.

Part(b)
    Bookwork. Managed to derive it.
    [tex]\alpha(\omega) = \frac{\alpha_0(\omega)}{1 + \frac{I}{I_{sat}}} [/tex]
    where saturation intensity is ## I_{sat} = \frac{\hbar \omega_L}{\sigma_{21} \tau_R}## and relaxation time is ##\tau_R = \tau_2 + \frac{g_2}{g_1} \tau_1 (1- \tau_2A_{21})##.

Part(c)
    The equation for intensity is given by
    [tex]\frac{dI}{dz} = \alpha I = \frac{\alpha_0}{1 + \frac{I}{I_{sat}}}I[/tex]
    which may be integrated to give
    [tex] ln \left( \frac{I(z)}{I_{(0)}} \right) + \frac{I_{(z)} - I_{(0)}}{I_{sat}} = \alpha_0 z [/tex]

At low intensity where ##I_{(z)} << I_{sat}##, the equation becomes ##I_{(z)} = I_{(0)} = e^{\alpha_0 z}##.
    At high intensity where ##I_{(z)} \approx I_{(0)}##, the equation becomes ##I_{(z)} = I_{(0)} + \alpha_0 I_{sat} z##.

Thus initially the beam intensity is weak, then it becomes strong, so
    [tex]e^{\alpha_0 z} = 100[/tex]
    [tex] 200I_0 = \alpha_0 I_{sat}z[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2015 #2
  4. Apr 18, 2015 #3
    would appreciate any input on the last bit, many thanks in advance!

5. Apr 19, 2015 #4
  6. Apr 20, 2015 #5
    bumpp on last part

7. Apr 22, 2015 #6
  8. Apr 25, 2015 #7
  9. Apr 26, 2015 #8

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For part (c) build two different equations, each of which relates the output intensity, input intensity, and distance (hint: you have derived this equation). Then to each one of them, input the different conditions, one is for after travelling the first amplifier and the other after travelling both amplifiers. It's then straightforward to derive the expression for the saturation intensity in term of only input intensity.

10. Apr 26, 2015 #9
    You absolutely right. I have been making unnecessary approximations. Solved this question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted