Laser Sheet Optics: Generating w/ Spherical Lenses

In summary: I would like to add a cylindrical lens before the spherical lens, but I'm not sure if that's the best idea.
TerraForce469
Hello,

I've been helping a graduate student out with his project which is planar laser-induced fluorescence. Part of the procedure involves generating a laser sheet with which to illuminate over the flame under study.

Now, typically a usual procedure involves using a beam expander to spread the beam out followed by a cylindrical lens to focus the beam along a projected line.

But now, my question is, would this procedure be possible using only spherical lenses, e.g. double convex lenses, plano concave, plano convex?

And what are the equations involved to quantify these relationships between the source and the optics? I don't think that the regular [tex]\frac{1}{f}=\frac{1}{d_0}+\frac{1}{d_i}[/tex] equation will be applicable as we're talking about a collimated light source.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
TerraForce469 said:
<snip>
But now, my question is, would this procedure be possible using only spherical lenses
<snip>

Not unless you are scanning the beam. Maybe if you had an ungodly amount of astigmatism...

Andy Resnick said:
Not unless you are scanning the beam. Maybe if you had an ungodly amount of astigmatism...

By scanning, do you mean deflection of the beam so as to sort of steer it? Sorry, I don't exactly get what it quite means... :confused:

TerraForce469 said:
By scanning, do you mean deflection of the beam so as to sort of steer it? Sorry, I don't exactly get what it quite means... :confused:

Yes.

Andy Resnick said:
Yes.

But then, how would that possibly aid in creating a thin laser sheet?

I envision an f-θ optical system (no cylindrical optics) producing a gaussian beam with a Rayleigh range somewhat longer than the dimension of your imaging volume- the beam will be approximately constant diameter through the imaging volume. Then, scanning the beam (using a galvo, rotating mirror, etc. located at the appropriate plane) will linearly scan the beam through your imaging volume.

Andy Resnick said:
I envision an f-θ optical system (no cylindrical optics) producing a gaussian beam with a Rayleigh range somewhat longer than the dimension of your imaging volume- the beam will be approximately constant diameter through the imaging volume. Then, scanning the beam (using a galvo, rotating mirror, etc. located at the appropriate plane) will linearly scan the beam through your imaging volume.

Ah, I have never heard of this set up, but it should be interesting enough to consider.

How wide is the image scanning range usually for an [itex]f{\theta}[/itex] system? Does it only work for a specific wavelength as well as repetition rate of the laser, e.g. pulsed or CW?

Thank you so much for your input on the matter!

EDIT:

I've been trying to come up with an optical setup for an adjustable laser sheet, i.e. able to vary the length of the sheet. I get that spreading the sheet would lessen its power per unit area, but I just don't know whether there are commercially available optics to be able to do this kind of stuff already...

Last edited:
TerraForce469 said:
<snip> I just don't know whether there are commercially available optics to be able to do this kind of stuff already...

Without any information about your system requirements, it's impossible to say.

Andy Resnick said:
Without any information about your system requirements, it's impossible to say.

We are looking to illuminate a pre-mixed OH flame and collect the fluorescence emitted by the OH. This is a typical planar laser-induced fluorescence setup, which consists of an Nd:YAG, dye laser, and wavelength extender. The output is a ~300 nm laser beam with about. Take laser beam diameter is about 4 mm.

------------------------

Alright, let's forget about the constraints and consider a regular laser sheet optical setup.

We would normally use a cylindrical plano-concave lens to expand the beam and a spherical plano-convex lens to collimate it. The thinnest possible laser sheet width is at the focal point of the spherical lens, which should be less than the beam diameter. I also want to be able to image the 2D profile of this flame, so I need to make as thin of a laser sheet as possible. I should probably add a cylindrical lens somewhere in this optical setup, but I’m not sure whether it would be better to place it before or after the spherical lens.

Any thoughts? Should I just keep to the simple two-lens setup or would it help to add another lens to better achieve my purpose?

Let's back up a bit- the beam post-lenses can't have certain properties in excess of the 'original' beam. Specifically, if the beam is Gaussian (which it probably is, but I don't know what the 'wavelength extender' does), the product of minimum beam waist (ω) and beam divergence (θ) is constant. If you expand the beam (increase the beam waist), you decrease the divergence ('collimating the beam')- and vice-versa. You provided a measure of the waist but not the divergence. The product ωθ is important to determine because it will set a constraint on your probe volume- how 'thin' the laser sheet is, and the length over which the sheet is sufficiently thin.

But you haven't specified the probe volume, either.

Here's an example- say the original beam has a waist of 2mm and divergence of 1 milliradian. Then, if I want a laser sheet with a minimum (half-)thickness of 0.05mm, the divergence is 40 millirad, meaning the laser sheet is .45mm (half-) thick 1cm away from the 'best focus'. Does that meet your spec? Another way to specify the probe volume is that the sheet thickness does not vary by more than 50% over than 1 cm distance, and that will provide a bound on the minimum thickness.

Next- you are using a wavelength of 300nm. This *severely* constrains the suitable materials, meaning the optical components are going to be expensive. Also, since the wavelength is not visible, do you know how to align the optics?

IMO, based on the contents of this thread, you are well-advised to simply use a cylindrical lens (you still need to calculate the focal length that will result in a suitable probe volume).

1. What is the purpose of using spherical lenses in laser sheet optics?

Spherical lenses are used in laser sheet optics to shape and focus the laser beam into a thin sheet of light. This allows for precise control and manipulation of the light, which is essential in many scientific and industrial applications.

2. How does the generation of laser sheets work with spherical lenses?

The spherical lenses are used to collimate the laser beam, meaning they make the light rays parallel to each other. The collimated beam is then passed through a cylindrical lens, which focuses the light in one direction, creating a thin sheet of light.

3. What are the advantages of using spherical lenses in laser sheet optics?

One advantage is that spherical lenses are readily available and relatively inexpensive compared to other types of lenses. They also have a large depth of focus, meaning they can create a thin sheet of light over a wide range of distances. Additionally, they can be easily adjusted for different sheet thicknesses and shapes.

4. Are there any limitations to using spherical lenses in laser sheet optics?

One limitation is that spherical lenses can only create a single plane of light. This means that if the object being illuminated is not flat, the resulting image may be distorted. Additionally, spherical lenses are not as precise as other types of lenses, so they may not be suitable for extremely precise or sensitive experiments.

5. How can spherical lenses be combined with other optical elements in laser sheet optics?

Spherical lenses can be combined with other lenses, such as cylindrical or axicon lenses, to create more complex and precise laser sheet shapes. They can also be used in conjunction with mirrors, filters, and other elements to manipulate the beam before it reaches the object being illuminated.