Laser Spectroscopy: Calculating Transmitted Intensity

In summary: The equation you are using is the Beer-Lambert-Bouguer law which states that the transmitted intensity is equal to the intensity of the unpolarized light multiplied by the absorption coefficient for that polarization.
senobim

Homework Statement

Unpolarized light of intensity I0 is transmitted through a dichroic polarizer
with thickness 1mm. Calculate the transmitted intensity when the absorption
coefficients for the two polarizations are α|| = 100cm −1 and α ⊥ = 5cm −1

Homework Equations

Is it possible to say what would be transmitted intesity for unpolarized light from this info?

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it valid to say that α(unpolarized) = α || + α ⊥?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've presented three questions but no Relevant equations or solution attempt.

What equation(s) are relevant to intensity for polarizers, especially dichroic polarizers? Check your course text or notes, or perhaps do some research on the web to find out.

I know how to calculate transmited intensities in horizontal and vertical polarization (Bouguer Law), just not sure about unpolarized light case

[tex]I = I_{0}\varepsilon^{-\alpha l}[/tex]

Last edited:
The unpolarized (or natural) light source is treated as a mix of two mutually incoherent beams of equal amplitude that are polarized in mutually orthogonal directions. If you choose these directions to coincide with the || and ⊥ axes associated with the coefficients of your polarizer then you can apply your Beer-Lambert-Bouguer law.

Take a look at page 850 of this reference (Thanks to Google Books)
Principles of Optics: Electromagnetic Theory of Propagation, Interference ...
By Max Born, Emil Wolf

In particular note the exponents of e that contain the coefficients and how the resulting intensities add.

Likes senobim
Thank you very much!

What does these coefficiants means exactly?

Last edited:
senobim said:
Thank you very much!

What does these coefficiants means exactly?
They set the rate of extinction of the light intensity with distance through the medium (the polarizer in this case). They're your absorption coefficents mentioned in the problem statement.

[tex]I = I_{0}\varepsilon^{-2\alpha' l}[/tex]

why there is 2 before these? It is mentioned in your ref book, that's there I've lost ;]

senobim said:
[tex]I = I_{0}\varepsilon^{-2 \alpha' l}[/tex]

why there is 2 before these?
I am not certain as I haven't attempted a derivation. But I suspect that it has something to do with splitting the total intensity into two.

1. What is laser spectroscopy?

Laser spectroscopy is a scientific technique that uses laser light to study the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. It is used to measure the properties of atoms, molecules, and solids, such as their energy levels, chemical composition, and physical structure.

2. How does laser spectroscopy work?

In laser spectroscopy, a laser beam is directed at a sample, causing the atoms or molecules in the sample to absorb and emit light at specific wavelengths. By analyzing the changes in the wavelength and intensity of the emitted light, scientists can gather information about the sample's properties.

3. What is transmitted intensity in laser spectroscopy?

Transmitted intensity refers to the amount of laser light that passes through a sample without being absorbed. It is a key measurement in laser spectroscopy, as it can provide information about the sample's absorption and scattering properties.

4. How is transmitted intensity calculated in laser spectroscopy?

To calculate transmitted intensity, the intensity of the laser before it passes through the sample (incident intensity) is compared to the intensity of the laser after it passes through the sample (transmitted intensity). This ratio is known as the transmittance and is typically expressed as a percentage.

5. What are the applications of laser spectroscopy?

Laser spectroscopy has a wide range of applications in various fields, including chemistry, physics, biology, and environmental science. It is used to analyze the composition of materials, study chemical reactions, and investigate the structure of molecules. It is also used in medical diagnostics and in the development of new technologies, such as lasers and optical devices.