Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser theory

1. Apr 25, 2004 #1
    Hey guys,
    this is my first time posting here (so if there's already a thread about lasers, please direct me there)

Does anyone know a good source for the theory of lasers (specifically semiconductor lasers) at a second year undergrad level? I've looked at a number of books including Laser Fundamentals (Silvfast), Lasers: Theory and Practice (Hawkes/Latimer) but they both seem to be a little too advanced (for getting though them in a short period of time anyway)...anyone know a book/site that's to the point? I'd really appreciate it :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2005 #2
    Welcome to PF antiicon!

Try Howstuffworks for the very basics. Then maybe move on to laser FAQ

hope this helps...
  4. Mar 20, 2005 #3

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

I use "Lasers and Electro-Optics" by Davis.

5. Mar 21, 2005 #4
    If you're not interested in a highly mathematical treatment, I might suggest Kuhn's Laser Engineering. There is very little quantum as this book is tailored for engineering applications. It is easily accesible, and provides a nice overview.
    1.) Introduction to Lasers 2.) Energy States and Gain 3.) The Fabry-Perot Etalon 4.)Transverse Mode Properties 5.) Gain Saturation 6.) Transient Properties 7.) Introduction to Nonlinear Optics 8.) Supportive Technologies 9.) Conventional Gas Lasers 10.) Conventional Solid-State Lasers. 11) Transitional-Metal Solid-State Lasers 12.) Other Major Commercial Lasers
  6. May 14, 2005 #5
    could you give some web address that they were about history of gas laser !
    if you know post them in to this E:mail ...
  7. May 14, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For me, the bible about lasers is Principles of Lasers, by Orazio Svelto. With what you wrote, it is probably a bit too hard for what you want, but the first few chapters should be readable and give you probably the same content as "simpler" treatments, but with the necessary caveats.

8. May 14, 2005 #7
    Lasers by Anthony E. Siegman is also very good but maybe too general.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?