Laser/Wave Phenomena Exploration

• Thread starter Mr. Heretic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phenomena
In summary, the author noticed that if they reflect a laser beam off of a mirror with a small angle, they will see two separate interference patterns. He is still not sure what is causing this interference.
Mr. Heretic
Greetings and salutations.

Today I bring with me interesting phenomena, which I managed to reproduce and photograph in detail.
I noticed one when I was enjoying my ~300mW 532nm laser in a dark room, if I reflect the beam off a regular plane mirror with a small angle, it projects 2 separate interference(?) patterns onto an opposing surface, becoming noticeable at about 8 degrees and highly visible at around 2, based on distance measurements and trig.
Both are pictured in the attachments, though I've had to scale and reduce quality woefully to meet the strict filesize guidelines.
I advise downloading the 100% size and quality version for closer inspection from: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/SLeE64Xo8-6n0dO8JC109p1FDvtn5lS-MCahxU362JM?feat=directlink
Only place I could find to host a 15.3mb image, use the download option on the top left.

Note that the main/large pattern is not centered at the point the beam has reflected to, based on attempts to give the laser only vertical, horizontal and angular shifts: it is affected equally (to the beam point) in the former two, but half as drastically in the angular shifts, which is to say reflected at half the angle.

A second, much smaller pattern can be seen at the actual point of the laser beam, which was only revealed in the photograph, the point is too bright to look at directly so it's possibly an artifact of the camera/lens.

I have two ideas on what could be causing it, but certainly nothing solid:
1. Markings/grit/fingerprints on the mirror surface potentially acting like a diffraction grating, though it's not like any light diffraction I've seen.
2. Partial reflection within the glass of the mirror, creating secondary out-of-phase beams at proximity to the original. (diagram included, attachment 3)

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Wave pattern 1 - LQ.jpg
    Wave pattern 1 - LQ.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 434
  • Wave pattern 2 - LQ.jpg
    Wave pattern 2 - LQ.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 420
  • Wave phenomena.png
    Wave phenomena.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 406
Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Ooh, certainly seems like they are "Newton's Rings", had never heard of them.
Did a bit of reading, but I'm still not sure I understand the exact mechanism that's causing the interference to occur in this instance, then again it's 2:18AM.
I'll interrogate my physics teacher about them tomorrow/today. :]

1. What is laser/wave phenomena exploration?

Laser/wave phenomena exploration is the study of the properties and behavior of lasers and waves. This includes understanding how they are generated, how they interact with different materials, and their various applications in science and technology.

2. What are some common applications of laser/wave phenomena exploration?

Laser/wave phenomena exploration has a wide range of applications, including in medicine, communications, manufacturing, and entertainment. Examples include laser surgery, fiber optic communication, laser cutting and welding, and laser light shows.

3. How do lasers work?

Lasers work by amplifying and focusing light waves into a narrow, intense beam of light. This is achieved through a process called stimulated emission, where atoms in a laser's medium are stimulated to emit photons of light that are then synchronized and amplified by mirrors and other components within the laser.

4. What are the different types of waves studied in laser/wave phenomena exploration?

There are several types of waves that are studied in laser/wave phenomena exploration, including electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, microwaves, and light waves, and mechanical waves, such as sound waves. Each type of wave has its own unique characteristics and behaviors.

5. What are some current developments and advancements in laser/wave phenomena exploration?

Some current developments in laser/wave phenomena exploration include the use of femtosecond lasers for ultrafast and precise material processing, the development of quantum cascade lasers for new applications in spectroscopy and sensing, and the use of lasers for generating and controlling plasma in fusion energy research.