Can laser optics provide insight into photon lifetime definitions?

In summary, the conversation is about exotic photon lifetime definitions for photons in laser cavities. The speaker is confused about the different definitions used by authors and is looking for references and literature on the topic. They mention finding an article on Bloch wave formalism and also finding information on energy velocity and its relation to photon lifetime. They are interested in the possibility of finding a relation between photon lifetime definition and the integral of energy density through intensity.
zellkorath
Hello folks of physics. Can anyone tell me about some exotic photon lifetime definitions for photons in laser cavity? I mean, I looked in all sorts of books related to that topic, and the entire bunch of authors use the same definition: cavity exiting energy through dissipated power; or definition through losses in active material. what confuses me is that they all give definitions of energy in dependence of energy density, and power in intensity, but no one has actually connected those relations in photon time dependence. I would like to research this topic more, so I ask you for the starter help, in any reference, literature connected to the topic, etc.
thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Found it. if someone is interested look at article Bloch wave formalism of photon lifetime in DFB lasers.

http://faculty.uml.edu/cbaird/qcl/Output_Power.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
tnx. I also found some interesting data and info about energy velocity and its relations to photon lifetime , that is equivalent to group velocity but given as mean value of poynting vector(witch is almost same thing as the intensity ) and an energy density. I am interested: is it possible to found relation to photon lifetime definition as integral of energy density (integral of only one spatial coordinate) through intensity

1. What is a LASER and how does it work?

A LASER (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) is a device that emits a powerful and concentrated beam of light. It works by stimulating atoms or molecules within a medium (such as a crystal or a gas) to release energy in the form of photons. These photons then bounce back and forth between two mirrors, amplifying and aligning themselves until they can escape as a coherent beam of light.

2. What are some common uses for LASERs?

LASERs have a wide range of applications, including but not limited to: communication (fiber optic cables), cutting and welding in manufacturing, medical procedures (such as eye surgery), military and defense (targeting and weapons), scientific research (spectroscopy and microscopy), and entertainment (laser light shows).

3. How are LASERs different from regular light sources?

Unlike regular light sources, LASERs produce a highly focused and intense beam of light with a single wavelength (color). This allows for greater precision and control in various applications. Additionally, LASER light does not spread out as it travels, making it possible to maintain its strength and direction over long distances.

4. Are there different types of LASERs?

Yes, there are several types of LASERs, each with their own unique properties and applications. Some common types include gas, solid-state, semiconductor, and dye LASERs. Each type uses a different medium to produce the LASER beam and has its own specific characteristics.

5. How do LASER optics work and why are they important?

LASER optics refer to the components that manipulate and control the LASER beam, such as lenses, mirrors, and prisms. These components are crucial in shaping and directing the LASER beam for specific applications. They also help maintain the coherence and intensity of the beam, making them essential for the proper functioning of LASER devices.