Lasers are being used to do eye correction

In summary, Ralph is arguing that because lasers have mass, they must have rest mass too. He also disagrees with Ralph that most lasers are compact pieces of lightweight equipment that don't require any special cooling and are found in everyday electronics. Njorl is saying that using lasers to fuse Hydrogen may well fill rooms with cooling equipment, but that it would be an expensive way to make iron.
Yggdrasil
Lasers are being used to do many things now: eye correction, speed scaning, cutting, and now even to create iron!

Scientists now use lasers to heat up hydrogen so they fuse into helium and all the way up the table into iron, just like stars.

I want to know if lasers have mass. I know that they are just photons in a narrow beam, and photons have mass (or do they?), so lasers must have mass too, right?

Science news on Phys.org
Yes they are just a monochromatic (same color) beam of photons. Photons do have mass, but no rest mass. So lasers beams do have mass.

Most lasers are very large pieces of heavy equipment that require water cooling and many amperes of power. So yes, I would say they have lots of mass...

Ralph

RalphS said:
Most lasers are very large pieces of heavy equipment that require water cooling and many amperes of power. So yes, I would say they have lots of mass...

Ralph

:uhh: He's talking about the beam, Ralph...

your a funny guy ralph ,i like your answer

I disagree with Ralph. Most lasers are compact pieces of lightweight equipment that don't require any special cooling and are found in everyday electronics. So they have SOME mass...but not that much.

When I was in college, they showed us a laser, in its own dedicated lab, filled with equipment for cooling and adjusting it. Yesterday, I saw a laser on sale at "Home Depot" hardware (to be used for establishing a straight line- remember chalk lines?). It was about 10 ounces and they were asking $25.

HallsofIvy said:
When I was in college, they showed us a laser, in its own dedicated lab, filled with equipment for cooling and adjusting it. Yesterday, I saw a laser on sale at "Home Depot" hardware (to be used for establishing a straight line- remember chalk lines?). It was about 10 ounces and they were asking $25.
So, you're saying...you're old? :biggrin:

As far as the LASER itself goes (The beam is NOT the LASER!) they come in all sizes and shapes. From the small LASER diode pointer to High power industrial LASERS which can be very massive. I'll bet that the LASERS used to fuse Hydrogen are HUGE! They may well fill rooms with cooling equipment.

Our 10W Coherent AVIA X Lasers have a head (the actual LASER ) that weighs about 30Lbs it sets on a water cooled chiller plate. The Chiller (water cooler) which pumps water to the chiller plate is a box the size of a large suitcase. The LASER power supply, which also contains the control electronics and the infra red solid state LASER diodes for pumping the LASER, is yet another suitcase sized box which weighs about 90lbs. This is a 10W industrial laser, as the power goes up the size must also increase, just the nature of the beast.

http://www.cohr.com/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=Interfaces.Part&PCID=23&PLID=34&PDID=300&PTID=DPSS0002

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
So, you're saying...you're old? :biggrin:

I prefer "antique"!

How bout "ripe with experience"?

At the other extreme, some guys I work with made a VCSEL (vertical cavity surface emitting laser) that was <10 micron diameter, and about 3 microns deep.

This devolved into unintended territory pretty quickly.

I think this would be illustrative of the question first asked:

Consider two laser beams of extremely high power and good collimation. Would there be a gravitational attraction between the two beams? Considering our current state of the arts of laser making and detection, could we detect that gravitational attraction?

Njorl

It seems a rather exspensive way to make iron, when we live on a planet mostly made of it.

Also, in natural fusion, iron is the rest spot for things going up or down the P table, things going up the table, Hydrogen to Helium and so on, run out of returns at iron, so it stops there. things going down, once it gets to iron, it starts to sustain itself AS iron. but using lasers, as an exsternal power for the fusion, could it not continue to make things more dencer than iron?

and yes i am awear that i made almost no sence.

1. How does laser eye correction work?

Laser eye correction, also known as LASIK or PRK, uses a laser to reshape the cornea of the eye. The cornea is responsible for focusing light onto the retina, and if it is misshapen, it can cause vision problems. The laser precisely removes small amounts of tissue from the cornea, reshaping it and improving vision.

2. Is laser eye correction safe?

Laser eye correction is considered a safe and effective procedure for correcting vision problems. However, as with any medical procedure, there are potential risks and complications that should be discussed with an eye doctor before undergoing the procedure. It is important to choose a reputable and experienced surgeon to minimize the risk of complications.

3. Who is a good candidate for laser eye correction?

Good candidates for laser eye correction are typically over 18 years old and have a stable vision prescription. They should also have healthy eyes with no underlying conditions that could affect healing, such as cataracts or glaucoma. An eye doctor will perform a comprehensive evaluation to determine if a person is a good candidate for the procedure.

4. How long does it take to recover from laser eye correction?

Most people are able to resume normal activities within a day or two after laser eye correction. However, it may take a few weeks for vision to fully stabilize and for any side effects, such as dry eyes, to subside. It is important to follow all post-operative instructions given by the eye doctor to ensure proper healing.

5. Are there any potential side effects of laser eye correction?

As with any medical procedure, there are potential side effects of laser eye correction. These include dry eyes, glare, halos, and difficulty with night vision. These side effects are usually temporary and can be managed with medication or additional procedures if needed. However, it is important to discuss any concerns with an eye doctor before undergoing the procedure.