Weighing Pros and Cons of Laser Surgery for Myopia

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of undergoing laser surgery to correct vision. The speaker has been considering this option due to the inconvenience of glasses and has found contact lenses to be a pleasant alternative. The cost of laser treatment is also discussed, with the speaker mentioning mixed reviews about the safety of the procedure. Ultimately, the speaker decides to base their decision on hard statistics and plans to discuss the success rate and risks with their optometrist. They also mention that they will update their friends on how the surgery goes.
WiFO215
I've been mulling over whether or not to undergo laser surgery to correct my vision. Myopia set in when I was 12 and has gradually become worse (~ -3.75, 4 now). Being rather active, I find glasses to be a big pain because they get in the way often, sometimes even leading to injury. I was wearing contact lenses for some time and found it to be a very pleasant experience. They were very comfortable and offered a much larger field of vision than specs. I thought going in for laser treatment would avoid this pain of glasses altogether and would also be cheaper Here in India, contact lenses for 6 months cost about $120 and LASIK costs about $480. Although everyone tells me it's safe, I'm hearing mixed reviews about people going back for surgery and would like to know what you have to say about undergoing laser treatment. I'll be heading to meet my optometrist soon.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Everyone with problems about the recovery will tell their story to everyone around, and we - humans - have tendency to report bad stories (think media coverage - apparently the only things happening in the world is disasters and accidents). So I would not base my decision on the stories I heard, but on a hard statistics.

It entirely depends on the clinic you will be visiting, get information from the doctor on the success rate and risks. If they say it is completely safe, then don't go there: they're hiding information. Nothing is completely safe and you should be informed of the risks.

Thanks guys. I think I will be getting surgery soon. Will let you know how it went.

I understand the desire to find a solution for your myopia that is more convenient and potentially less expensive than wearing glasses or contact lenses. Laser surgery for myopia has become a popular option in recent years, but it is important to carefully weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.

One of the major benefits of laser surgery for myopia is the potential for improved vision without the need for glasses or contact lenses. This can be especially appealing for individuals who are active and find glasses to be a hindrance. Additionally, laser surgery may be more cost-effective in the long run, as it eliminates the need for purchasing new glasses or contacts every few months.

However, it is important to consider the potential risks and side effects of laser surgery. While it is generally considered safe, there is still a possibility of complications, such as dry eyes, glare or halos, and even a small chance of vision loss. It is also important to note that laser surgery may not completely eliminate the need for glasses or contacts, as some individuals may still require them for certain activities or in low light conditions.

Furthermore, it is important to carefully research and choose a reputable and experienced surgeon for the procedure. It is not uncommon to hear mixed reviews about laser surgery, as with any medical procedure, but choosing a skilled and qualified surgeon can greatly reduce the risk of complications.

Ultimately, the decision to undergo laser surgery for myopia is a personal one that should be made after careful consideration and consultation with your optometrist. They can provide you with more information about the procedure and help you determine if it is the right choice for you. I wish you the best of luck in your decision-making process.

1. What is laser surgery for myopia?

Laser surgery for myopia, also known as laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis (LASIK), is a corrective eye surgery that uses a laser to reshape the cornea and improve vision in individuals with myopia (nearsightedness).

2. How does laser surgery for myopia work?

During the procedure, a laser is used to create a thin flap in the outer layer of the cornea. This flap is then lifted, and the underlying corneal tissue is reshaped using a laser. The flap is then placed back in its original position, and the cornea heals naturally, resulting in improved vision.

3. What are the benefits of laser surgery for myopia?

Laser surgery for myopia has several benefits, including improved vision, reduced dependence on glasses or contact lenses, and a quick recovery time. It is also a relatively painless procedure and has a high success rate.

4. What are the risks and side effects of laser surgery for myopia?

As with any surgery, there are potential risks and side effects associated with laser surgery for myopia. These may include dry eyes, glare or halos, overcorrection or undercorrection of vision, and infection. However, these risks are relatively rare, and most individuals experience minimal to no side effects.

5. Is laser surgery for myopia suitable for everyone?

No, laser surgery for myopia is not suitable for everyone. The procedure is typically recommended for individuals with stable vision and a healthy cornea. It may not be suitable for those with certain medical conditions, such as autoimmune disorders or uncontrolled diabetes. It is important to consult with an eye doctor to determine if laser surgery for myopia is the right option for you.

Back