Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Last day of school ever tomorrow

1. May 24, 2007 #1
    :frown::frown::frown::frown:

It sucks. I'm not going to see a lot of these people again. They were like family. I wish school lasted forever. :frown::mad:

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2007 #2
    And when it lasts forever, you'd wish that it would end soon. :biggrin:

Think of those that you will meet when you join college. At least, these days, you can have a "hold" on most of your friends with e-mail and/or cell phones.

4. May 24, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well, there is such a thing as telecommunications, whether it is email, internet, telephone, and whatever else someone dreams up.

I am occasionally in contact with a friend from 7th grade - about 40 years ago. I have another friend whom I've known since 10th grade, and I saw him just several weeks ago during a business trip. And still other friends from university. Then I work with 3 guys from the same nuclear engineering program - and I taught them as undergrads. :biggrin:

It is certainly a matter of effort to keep in touch, but well worth it IMO.

5. May 24, 2007 #4
    Yeah there are more communication tools available, but it's not the same as seeing them every single day in school. Oh well.

6. May 25, 2007 #5
    Hey!!!!! I graduated today from high school (err...it's 12:47, so yesterday).

7. May 25, 2007 #6
    woot. whats next?

8. May 26, 2007 #7
    Well the party was so fun. What's next? EXAMS!!!

9. May 26, 2007 #8
    It would have been so much better if exams had been before the last-day-of-school party. You will be writing the exams in school, so technically the last day of the exams would be the last day of school.

10. May 28, 2007 #9
    Yeah but that would have been impossible to organise for the school cause everyone does different exams on differnet days and people go on holidays. But I suppose people from the same social groups will throw parties after their exams.

11. May 29, 2007 #10

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Me, too. I finish high-school last week, on Friday. It's pretty sad, when thinking that from now on, you'll hardly ever have a chance to meet your old friends again. :frown: :frown: :frown:

But, still, exams are coming... Nnnnooooooooo... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: It hurts... :cry: :cry: :cry:

12. May 29, 2007 #11
    AAAaaaand yet Im still stressed out to hell! My employer insists that I don't put in over 20 hours a week, yet I have a few deadlines coming up that wouldn't be possible with 50 hours in a week! #@($*#@(UDSF*DSY

13. May 29, 2007 #12

Mk

Oh c'mon. I've been a lot of places and you basically get new friends. You always think you're so close and you'll be with your high school sweetheart forever but posses are not forever.

14. May 29, 2007 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know what? It sounds kinda mean, almost, but you're likely to make much better friends in college. It turned out that most of my "friends" from high school were just friends of convenience. When I got to college, I realized I could choose to hang out with any of 30,000 different people, all of whom were intelligent, worldly, and probably interested in some of the same things I was.

I graduated from high school ten years ago, and have close friendships with only two guys from high school. The rest I hardly remember, honestly. :sad:

- Warren

15. May 29, 2007 #14
    Same here. High school friends tend not to be long-lasting. I only maintain regular communication with four of my old high school friends, and all of them attended different high schools than me! Indeed, as soon as I left for college, I don't remember ever talking to any of my old friends from high school any longer. On the other hand, I've just started grad school, and I still keep in touch with many of my college friends, despite that I'm almost 300 miles away. Seems like those friendships are a lot stronger.

16. May 29, 2007 #15

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Alice Cooper must be rolling in the grave he sleeps in at night.

17. May 29, 2007 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with Chroot and arunma. I stayed friends with a couple of people from high school for a while, and they're all people who if our paths crossed, I'd meet up with them again, but we've all pretty much drifted off so that I only even stay in touch through things like Christmas card exchanges with one of them now. My college friends have been more lasting, though, even many of them are fading off in the distance. But, every place I move, I make new friends locally, and have made some friends not so locally, such as through PF. It's always a bit sad to leave the comfort of the people you know, but there are always new people to meet at the next destination, and that sadness won't last long once you start meeting them.

18. May 29, 2007 #17

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

wow i thought you would be celebrating. But now it reminds me of my "guru" who one day indicated to me one of his pupils as a "permanent student".

When I asked if he wanted another one, he said, "What?!" "Never graduate?"

I got the point. Time to move on.

19. May 30, 2007 #18
    Well you should arrange stuff. Parties or card nights or whatever.

Yeah that might be true in life, but you always think the group of people you know are the best ever and you'll still miss them regardless.

University just doesn't sound as fun as high school in terms of friends... I've just heard a lot of people have to kind of change their entire attitude.

I don't like Alice Cooper :mad:

There's nothing really to celebrate.. the only people I know are happy with school being out are the ones that really didn't like school or enjoy their lessons.

Well I am looking forward to meeting new people, we'll see in a few months.

20. May 30, 2007 #19

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neither do I, but that doesn't mean I want him waking up with bruises.

21. May 30, 2007 #20

Mk

It's definitely much better. Your friends after your first four years in college will be much better than your high school friends.

Plus, you also get to live with them. Which, can be good or it might not be :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?