1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Late bloomer: Physics, EE, or both?

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    Hello all. I am new to the forum and have already learned a lot about the academics and career choices facing scientists and engineers. I believe I have a somewhat unique situation, and need some opinions from people in the field.

Basically, I am a Junior in college who has just found out what he does not want to do in school. For my first 2 years in school I just took general ed courses, mostly humanities and social sciences(the easy classes), and just last year I took an astronomy course and was truly astounded by physics. I also found an interest in math, but I am quite behind for my age/time in school.

Now I plan on going for a physics degree. Starting next year(my 4th year in college mind you) I am going to take University Physics 1, and depending on how much calculus I get done this summer, Calc 2 or 3. Aside from starting late with my physics pursuit, I have already completed virtually all the general ed requirements, and therefor will be pretty much exclusively taking math and physics for the next 3 years(including summer courses).

This sounds painful, but I love physics now, I definitely want to try and do this. On the other hand, I am not particularly sure what I plan on doing with a physics B.S. I have thought about teaching and that would require a M.S. for a community college, but I also have heard good things about the semiconductor industry, and obviously about electronics and such, which brings me to my next thing.

A lot of people at my school and even on this forum recommend EE over physics for a job. Now, I am not going through school solely for a job. I am doing what I am interested in, but a job IS important because if you have no money, you surely wont be happy. I like applications, and I like tinkering and believe I am good at hands on stuff as well, which is why I think EE would also be a good choice for me.

I'm a bit torn. I am surely going for physics because it interests me the most, but would a double major in EE be a good idea in case I decided to not go to graduate school and just want a regular job after college? It seems like a lot of topics overlap in the 2 degrees as well, which could hopefully reinforce each other. I have thought about getting a B.S. in physics, then going back to school for 1.5-2 years and getting a B.S. in EE instead. What do you guys think?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted