Yes, your approach and calculations look correct. Good job!

In summary, the problem involves calculating the amount of heat required to heat 0.2kg of ice from -20°C to 30°C. The solution involves breaking the problem into states, heating the ice from -20°C to 0°C, using latent heat to melt the ice, and then heating the resulting water from 0°C to 30°C. The final answer is 99600J, although it may be more appropriate to use 2 significant figures instead of 3.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

How much heat is required to heat 0.2kg of ice from -20°C to 30°C?

Homework Equations

Total heat lost or gained : ##Q = mcΔt## where ##Δt## is the change in temperature and c is the heat capacity.

Latent Heat Fusion : ##Q = mL_f##

The Attempt at a Solution

From my understanding, I think I need to break this problem down into states.

The ice will start melting at 0°C ( since ice is just condensed water ). So the ice must be heated from -20°C to 0°C for it to melt.

Then we must use Latent Heat to melt the ice.

Finally we would have to heat the water from 0°C to 30°C.

So the amount of heat we would need can be expressed by the equation :

##Q_T = Q_{Ice} + Q_{Melt} + Q_{Water} = mc_{Ice}Δt_{Ice} + mL_f + mc_{Water}Δt_{Water}##

Then plugging and chugging I get :

##(0.2 kg)(2100 J/kg°C)(0°C + 20°C) + (0.2 kg)(330000 J/kg) + (0.2)(4200 J/kg°C)(30°C - 0°C) = 99600J##

Therefore 99600J of heat would be required to heat the ice from its original state to a heated state of water.

Does this look okay?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good!

Yep, looks good to me as well.

yep. looks good to me too. Although you have used 2 significant figures in your values, so does it make sense to have 3 significant figures in your answer?

edit: hehe, everyone seems to have posted a reply near-simultaneously.

BruceW said:
edit: hehe, everyone seems to have posted a reply near-simultaneously.

You're all so fast lol. Thanks for the confirm guys :).

"edit: hehe, everyone seems to have posted a reply near-simultaneously. " It's because it was an easy problem :-)

What is latent heat of fusion?

Latent heat of fusion is the amount of heat energy required to change a substance from solid to liquid state at constant temperature and pressure.

What is the difference between latent heat of fusion and latent heat of vaporization?

The main difference is that latent heat of fusion refers to the energy required to change a substance from solid to liquid state, while latent heat of vaporization refers to the energy required to change a substance from liquid to gas state.

How is latent heat of fusion calculated?

Latent heat of fusion can be calculated by dividing the amount of energy transferred by the change in mass of the substance during the phase change.

What factors affect the latent heat of fusion?

The latent heat of fusion is affected by the type of substance, pressure, and temperature. Different substances have different latent heat of fusion values, and the latent heat of fusion generally increases with higher pressure and decreases with higher temperature.

Why is latent heat of fusion important?

Latent heat of fusion is important because it determines the amount of heat energy needed to change a substance from solid to liquid state. This is particularly important in industries such as refrigeration and food preservation, where the phase change from solid to liquid is crucial in maintaining certain temperatures.