How to Calculate Potential Energy and Latent Heat in Physics?

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving the change in energy of a spring, but made mistakes.
Ashleykins
I have two homework questions that I am desperate for some help on. I've posted them on our class discussion page, and I'm on my last attempt. We get three attempts on our homework. The first question deals with SPE and the second deals with latent heat.

For Question 1:
1. Homework Statement

You have a copper-beryllium alloy spring of length 0.020 m, spring constant 224.0 N/m. spring-states.png

You pull the block out to xmax = 0.033 m and hold it there. Then you release it. As it moves back toward equilibrium, it passes by position x2 = 0.021 m. Calculate the change in potential energy from xmax to x2.

Type in your answer to the nearest 0.001 Joule of potential energy. Use a - minus sign if the ΔPE is negative. E.g., if your answer is -1.2088 Joules, then type in -1.209.

Homework Equations

SPE=1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've tried a few different things. I know that k=224.0 For x I subtracted xmax-x2, giving me x=0.012 So the equation would be SPE=(1/2)(224)(0.012)^2 = 0.016 This was marked wrong
My next attempt was a solution I found on our class discussion page which stated the following:
SPE=1/2k(xmax) and then SPE=1/2(k)(x2) then subtract the solution from x2-xmax. This also came out wrong. Please help!

Question 2:
Latent Heat. So we've done this equation before 100 times using water and it's been fine. I am not understanding what is going wrong now...

Homework Statement

While shopping at Yankee Candle, you notice that the price of their candles ($0.06/g) is increasing at a higher rate than your work income.
You decide to make your own candles and buy 454 g of scented paraffin wax from Amazon.com ($0.02/g). To form the candle in your mold, you have to heat the solid wax from room temperature (297 K) to 330 K. Once you pour the liquid wax into the mold, it must cool back down to room temperature (297 K) before removing it from the mold.

Substance: Paraffin Wax:
Melting Point: 327K
Specific Heat (SOLID): 0.57 cal/g K
Specific Heat (LIQUID): 0.58 cal/g K
Latent heat of fusion: 44 cal/g

CALCULATE: total calories of heat is used for this process before pouring it out?

Type in the numeric part of your answer to the nearest calorie. E.g., if your answer comes in at 88.5 calories, then type 89 in the answer box.

2. So I know that Q=mc(delta t)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So the first time, I thought maybe it was just a mathematical error so I tried it again. Still wrong. I have no idea what it could be here. This is how I calculated it:
for Q1: (454g)(0.57)(327-297) --> (454)(0.57)(30) =7763.40
Q2: (454g)(44) =18160
Q3: (454)(0.58)(330-327) --> (454)(0.58)(3) =789.96
add them up. 26713.36
Round to nearest whole number -->26713

This HW is due at 9am tomorrow, I've spent an entire weekend on it and I still have a test for another class to study for tonight. I'm like this close to just giving up. PLEASE help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ashleykins said:
My next attempt was a solution I found on our class discussion page which stated the following:
SPE=1/2k(xmax) and then SPE=1/2(k)(x2) then subtract the solution from x2-xmax. This also came out wrong. Please help!

What do you mean by "subtract the solution from x2-xmax"? Subtract what from x2-xmax?

You might well be doing it right (calculating the change in energy) but that line doesn't make a lot of sense. You didn't show your working or even the answer you entered so we can't see where or if you made a mistake.

PS The energy stored in a spring depends on the change in length not the stretched length so don't forget to subtract the relaxed length.

Last edited:
Ashleykins said:
Q2: (454g)(44) =18160

Might be other errors as well but check that.

Okay. so my calculator apparently hates me... I did it again and Q2 came out to 19976

CWatters said:
What do you mean by "subtract the solution from x2-xmax"? Subtract what from x2-xmax?

You might well be doing it right (calculating the change in energy) but that line doesn't make a lot of sense. You didn't show your working or even the answer you entered so we can't see where or if you made a mistake.

Oops Sorry, I'll edit. I was in a bit of a rush, I've been working on this homework assignment for no lie like 3 days and I have a test tomorrow for another class that I haven't even started studying for. I honestly can't even think straight right now...I had it all written out but forgot to type it!
So what I did, subtract the answer from the x2 calculation from the answer from the xmax calculation. The answer from the x2 calculation was 2.535. The answer from xnew was 0.131. 2.535-0.131=2.404

Ashleykins said:
So what I did, subtract the answer from the x2 calculation from the answer from the xmax calculation.

Change in energy is the final energy minus the initial energy.

More in a moment.

Hi Ashleykins,
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Please post one question per thread. With multiple questions being handled in one thread it can cause confusion amongst the resulting discussions.

For your spring question, the equation for potential energy should be applied to one position of the spring at a time. An argument that is the difference of two positions will not work. So calculate them separately, then take the difference in the energies. Make sure you get the order correct when you take the difference as it affects the sign of the result.

I can't see your drawing spring-states.png but note that the energy stored in a spring depends on the change in length relative to the relaxed length which might be

x2-xrelaxed = 0.021 - 0.020

Unfortunately I've got to go as it's 1am here.

Hey guys. I finally got it. I honestly don't know what I was doing wrong or what "clicked." But something did. Maybe I'm just tired. Thanks anyways. Happy Halloween! I will remember to only do one equation per thread in the future! Sorry about that!

1. What is latent heat question?

Latent heat question is a concept in thermodynamics that refers to the amount of energy required to change the phase of a substance without changing its temperature. It is the heat energy that is either absorbed or released during a phase change, such as melting, freezing, evaporation, or condensation.

2. How is latent heat related to specific heat capacity?

Latent heat and specific heat capacity are both measures of the amount of heat energy needed to change the temperature of a substance. However, specific heat capacity refers to the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of a substance by one degree, while latent heat refers to the amount of heat needed to change the phase of a substance. In other words, specific heat capacity is for temperature changes, while latent heat is for phase changes.

3. What are some examples of latent heat?

Some examples of latent heat include melting ice, boiling water, and evaporating sweat. In all of these examples, energy is being absorbed or released as the substance changes from one phase to another.

4. What is the significance of latent heat in everyday life?

Latent heat plays a crucial role in many everyday processes, such as cooking, air conditioning, and weather phenomena. For example, when water evaporates from our skin, it absorbs heat energy from our bodies, helping us to cool down. In air conditioning systems, the process of evaporation and condensation helps to cool down a room. And in weather patterns, the release of latent heat during condensation can lead to the formation of clouds and precipitation.

5. How is latent heat used in science and technology?

Latent heat is used in various scientific and technological applications, such as in refrigeration and heat pumps, which rely on the evaporation and condensation of certain substances to cool or heat a space. It is also used in the production of energy through steam turbines, where water is heated to its boiling point to produce steam, which then expands and rotates the turbine. Additionally, latent heat is an important concept in meteorology and climate science, as it plays a role in the formation of clouds and precipitation, which impact weather patterns and climate.